• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would having an AC Save (similar to DEX Save) be a good or terrible idea?

Do you think AC saves (AC - 10 + d20, using DEX save prof) would be a good idea?

kagayaku

First Post
But what happens if a player blocks or braces for an attack?

The dodge action already gives Advantage on Dex Saves (and disadvantage on Attacks Rolls against the dodger), I guess you'd just have it give Advantage on AC Saves as well.

I've decided there are too many fiddly rules for me to use this though - I've ordered 2 sets of D20s with all my players' dice colours so I can quickly roll Attacks (even with dis/advantage) against all of them instead. :)

MechaPilot

Explorer
I don't have a problem with the idea of an AC save. In a way, it's just a 4e convention in reverse (making a static defense into an extra save, instead of converting the three saves into static defenses), and I felt the 4 defenses of 4e worked just fine.

It's also akin to the 3e variant rule of rolling your AC, which reminds me greatly of the years I spent playing Palladium games where the defender rolled to dodge or parry attacks.

kagayaku

First Post
Thanks, MechaPilot. I've not played anything before 5e, but that sounds about right. Unfortunately with Attack rolls and Saves being so heavily intertwined with the rules I don't think I'll use AC Saves. It's too complicated xD

I have got a d20 per player now, all colour coded and everything, so I can roll the kinds of mass attacks I was going to use AC saves for quickly anyway.

mellored

Legend
I like having the player roll dice.
I like attackers always roll second best (4e style).
I like defenders always roll third best.
And I like splitting attacks/saves least.

So... it's a step up.

I'm also ok with armor being a bit more helpful compared to dex.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads