• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would it be okay to trash AoO?

Lily Inverse

First Post
That's besides the point. If a Ftr1 can make 5 attacks in a single round (one regular, 4 AoO) by "making the most of his opponent's mistakes", don't you think he should be able, for example, to make 5 attacks against someone who is Held?

Sure he could, but there would be no point. Just a well-calculated strike (Coup de Gras) and the person is dead and you can move on. And still make four attacks is people make that many mistakes too close to you.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I know if is a pain to download PDFs and look at them, but I really think it would be worth your while to check the file I linked to above. His system encourages narrative-style combats by eliminating initiative and eliminating AoO; he has thought through alternatives to each (and you could easily just consider the AoO one)

Cheers

tieranwyl

First Post
I posted at the WotC board but I thought I would ask it here in a different way.

Can a human-sized person escape a threatened area of a human-sized enemy without provoking an AoO by:

1) taking a Double Move action
2) moving your base speed

And

Does a spellcaster on the otherside of the room provoke an AoO from archers when he tries to cast? Or does AoO only apply when a person does something other than melee in a threatened area?

fimp

First Post
tieranwyl said:
I posted at the WotC board but I thought I would ask it here in a different way.

Can a human-sized person escape a threatened area of a human-sized enemy without provoking an AoO by:

1) taking a Double Move action
2) moving your base speed

And

Does a spellcaster on the otherside of the room provoke an AoO from archers when he tries to cast? Or does AoO only apply when a person does something other than melee in a threatened area?

Take a look at these nice diagrams: http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/aoo/index.htm

hong

WotC's bitch
Conaill said:
That's besides the point. If a Ftr1 can make 5 attacks in a single round (one regular, 4 AoO) by "making the most of his opponent's mistakes", don't you think he should be able, for example, to make 5 attacks against someone who is Held?

Coup de grace.

tieranwyl

First Post
I am going to see if I can talk my players into trying a session without AoO's. Additionally, I want to make all actions a full round action. (No one in the group has the Combat Reflexes feat.) Spellcraft checks for Counterspelling will be a free action. Attackers will get their full attack action when they can make an attack.

Houserule Summary:

Initiative (d20)

Roll the d20, add modifiers if any. Highest roll goes first.

Actions (1 Action per Round)
-Move: (up to 4 times your Base Speed)

-Ranged: (may also take a 5’ Step)

-Spellcasting: (may also take a 5’ Step)

-Melee: (may also take a 5’ Step)

-Charge: You must move at least 10’ and may move up to double your base speed. All movement must be in a straight line. You must stop as soon as you are within striking range of your target. You can’t run past him and attack from another direction.

-Make a single melee attack with a +2 bonus on the attack roll.
-You suffer a –2 penalty to your AC for 1 round.

Special Initiative Actions
Delay: By choosing to Delay, you take no action and then act normally at whatever initiative point you decide to act. A character can only voluntarily lower his initiative to –10 minus his initiative bonus.

Ready: The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun.
Examples:
-Distracting Spellcasters
-Readying to Counterspell
-Readying a Weapon against a Charge

Refocus: A character can choose to do nothing for an entire round and refocus his thoughts as he gets his bearings and appraises the situation. The effect is that on the following rounds of the combat, the character moves up the initiative count and is positioned as though he had rolled a 20 on his initiative check. Other modifiers (such as for Dexterity and for the Improved Initiative feat) also apply to the roll of 20 when determining the initiative check result.

*There are no Attacks of Opportunity.

Vaxalon

First Post
tieranwyl said:
Houserule Summary:

So basically, you're allowing people to charge right past the front rank, with no penalty, to attack the spellcasters?

You might as well eliminate the Tumble skill while you're at it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads