• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would It Break The Game If...: Weapon Damage

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
Actually what I do with a d2 is roll any die. The first half is a 1, the second half is a 2.

For instance, on a d6 1 - 3 is a 1 and 4 - 6 is a 2.

Another optional I sometimes use is that on any die you want to roll, odd = 1, even = 2.

That's how I roll a d2 anyhoo.

Jhaelen

First Post
What do you think? And more specifically what areas of the game might this affect that I am not thinking about?
Looks fine to me!

I also have a player who often picks the wrong dice but I never thought of changing anything because of that. It's definitely worth a try - it might even speed up play for everyone a bit.

A

amerigoV

You might take a look at Dragon Age RPG. It's all D6s, including damage. The basics are the same as D&D. - roll plus mods vs. A target number/defense value.

Just a though for ya.

Although I didn't do it quite your way, I ran a game where anytime "magic" damage was done, it was d6s. Got a magic sword? d6s.

Exploding d6s.

Yup, roll a 6, keep it and roll again.

The system also was using armor as DR.

All in all, it worked out quite fine. Folks had a d20 and then a pile of d6s and didn't really worry about it otherwise.

The multiple dice thing on some weapons is the one thing I'd be curious about, like the_orc_within mentioned. It's possibly going to affect things like a Monk, or something that gets sized up beyond the "normal" dice range.

And in case it wasn't clear... I'm a big fan of the approach. I realize some folks dig their different dice and their funky ones; heck, I've got four 8-sided d4s and a d30 that about 20 years old now. But there's really something to be said for a minimal amount of different dice to worry about.

Especially for the more casual folks. Giving them extra d6s is going to be more interesting and exciting to them. And if they explode? Yeah, now they'll be paying attention.

SuperJebba

First Post
Bear in mind if you decide to go forward with this, it does seem like it would take some of the fun out of never getting max damage. IMO, there is nothing more awesome than my barbarian getting a critical with his greataxe for 1d12+10 damage x3 for 66 points of damage.

Does it really slow things down that much for them reroll another die? And if it does, have them only take out the dice that they use. No reason to have every kind of die out most of the time.

I think it would probably be just fine. If you're worried about DR, you could consider reducing DR by a small amount (maybe as much as 5) for higher DR values. Lower ones would still be okay as normal, I suspect.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Bear in mind if you decide to go forward with this, it does seem like it would take some of the fun out of never getting max damage. IMO, there is nothing more awesome than my barbarian getting a critical with his greataxe for 1d12+10 damage x3 for 66 points of damage.

You do know that the critical should be 3d12+30, not the one dice roll tripled, right?

:)

Cheers

Pergentile

Explorer
Most damage is done in d4, d6 and d8. Ability scores are rolled with d6. HD are generally d4, d6 or d8. Almost everything else is d20. If your players play casually, tell them to stick to simple characters and weapons, because confusing the dice when you only have 4. . .
% rolls are rare enough that only the DM needs them, and can pass them around on the occasion of a player dieing.
d2's, d3's and d12's come up so rarely, that 'casual gamers' shouldn't be having occasion to use them.

Besides that, your "Roll+x" isn't accurate, period.
d2 and d3 are both divisible by 6, and so rounding isn't nessesary. d2: 1/2/3=1 and 4/5/6=2. d3: 1/4=1, 2/5=2 and 3/6=3. d8=1d6+1d3-1. d10=2d6-2 (minumum 1). This is the most accurate and logical method to follow. So unless your players are both casual gamers, and fairly slow-witted. . .

Gah, I don't even know how to address this thread without someone touchy thinking I'm being offensive, so I'll just stop there.

Nimloth

First Post
Really?

If your players are making mistakes often enough that you feel the need to implement this system, you have a player problem and I suspect this sort of change won't help. They will just confuse the modifier "Do I add 1 or 2 for a d10?" What are you going to do then?

All damage dice are d6s. Here is how the conversion works.
If its a d2, then roll a d6 and divide by 3, rounding up.
If its a d3, then roll a d6 and divide by 2, rounding up.
If its a d4, then roll a d6 - 1 (minimum 1).
If its a d6, no change.
If its a d8, then roll a d6 + 1.
If its a d10, then roll a d6 + 2.
If its a d12, then roll a d6 + 3.

While the averages remain (more or less) the same, you are loosing the top end. And what are you going to do about weapons that do 2d4 or 2d8 etc...? Roll multiple d6s or 1d6 with more modifiers.

MY SOLUTION

I would suggest that instead of implementing this system, have all the guilty players clearly seperate their dice by type, perhaps on a post-it note with the dice type clearly printed, before the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads