• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would like some help with some homebrew races.

Ottergame

First Post
I need some help coming up with stat adjustments and racial abilities for some home brew races. They are all medium sized LA+0 anthromorphic animal races. I already have general histories and other "flavor" done for them, I just cannot seem to come up with a set of balanced and sensible abilities for each race. I would like for them to be all balanced against those in the PHB, but different enough from one another to make each an interesting choice to play. No other races are avilable in the game, so they can have things that overlap or combine the abilities of the races in the PHB and other sources.

The only criteria I really want is nothing overly animalistic (No bonuses to burrowing, since they dig and mine with tools, not claws) since these races have evolved onto a human level of intelligence, and have lost things like musk glands and truely useful claws.

Here are the races:
Badgers - think half orc meets dwarf, earthy and somewhat religious.
Ferrets - roguishly handsome swordsmen, cultured and proud.
Foxes - the French without the attitudes, penicle of culture and art, though not knowledge.
Otters - the thinkers. The most materialistic and the most "learned" of all the peoples.
Rabbit - gypsy travelers with no homes of their own. Some mercenaries, others educated builders and craftsmen.
Raccoons - xenophobic facist nation that has sealed its lands off. Think the worst of Nazi Germany and Communist Russia.
Squirrels - simple and proud people from a little explored land, think native american without the religion.
Tigers - noble, brave, and make good leaders, though distrusting of everyone, even their own kind.

Each race has its own nation, though all races except raccoons and squirrels can be seen in all the other lands, intermingeled with the native population, non-native taking up about 25% of a nations population.

I'd like to see whatever comes up with. Have fun with it. :)

Edit: Forgot to add, this is for a medieval era game.

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
Ottergame said:
since these races have evolved onto a human level of intelligence, and have lost things like musk glands and truely useful claws.
Why lost the use of those? Seems odd to me.

Ottergame said:
Here are the races:
Badgers - think half orc meets dwarf, earthy and somewhat religious.
Ferrets - roguishly handsome swordsmen, cultured and proud.Hurrah!
Foxes - the French without the attitudes, penicle of culture and art, though not knowledge.He he
Otters - the thinkers. The most materialistic and the most "learned" of all the peoples.
Rabbit - gypsy travelers with no homes of their own. Some mercenaries, others educated builders and craftsmen.
Raccoons - xenophobic facist nation that has sealed its lands off. Think the worst of Nazi Germany and Communist Russia.Why? if anything that should be those damned squirls!
Squirrels - simple and proud people from a little explored land, think native american without the religion.
Tigers - noble, brave, and make good leaders, though distrusting of everyone, even their own kind.

I like it but I can't think of any stats.

Silkpaws

First Post
*Cracks hir knuckles* well... here comes this chakat to lend a hand. i already told you some ideas in IRC. but i'll lave them here. there general stat bonuses i can think of. i go through each of the races and add my thoughts on what should be done.

1. Badgers: if these guys are gonna be like dwarfs, make them tough as one, they maybe a little small but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to beat something up. just like dwarfs. maybe also make them good blacksmiths.

2. ferrets: well in my opinion give them a bonus to either dodge or stealth, as there nimble little guys, and there sneaky, but whatever ya give them relays on the foxes.

3. Foxes: they should get keen earing, giving them a bonus to prevention from being ambushed. same as rabbits here. also either give them shealth or dodge bonus. but as stated before whatever you give the foxes, give the toher to the ferrets, or the toher way around whichever you look at it. i think foxes should have the dodge and the ferrets the shealth.

4. Otters: ah.. give them an enchanced bonus when it comes to swimming, and such. also well base them around humans in D&D is there the smartest. who cares. that or make them like elfs. up to you

5. Rabbits: now these guys are my favs so far. there bonus i see fit like this. a. Enchanced hearing same bonus as with foxes.
b. bonus to running. i mean thats just natural for a rabbit.
c. make there character classes mostly things like bards and such. they are musicians... who can kick you butt when they need too.

6.Raccons: hmmmthis one is tuff (hehe bad pun) anyway. i think night vision works well for them, as well as somewhat like elfs. >,> i mean if anything i have read in many fantasy books. its that elfs hate tresspassors, and it seems so do these guys. seems to fit in my opinion.

7.Squirrels: well if these are spiritualists. well make them like that, have them be like shamans, mages, the sorts, for bonuses ah lets see. animal empthy, dodge bonus i feel works as they are normally speedy, oh andmost likely a bonus to wisdom and intell, i mean they need to know whats good and whats not after all if there wild people =P

8.Tigers: hmmm... these guys you put as just about anything i guess. though the bonuses i think of are Strength, consitutation(sp) so they can take a beating and generally stuff that makes them look like power houses >,> i think of them as barbs of DOOOOOM. as most of the other reasons seem to look like wimps to these guys. no offence to all those you like the other races better.

enjoy hope it helps even a little. :D

Badgers Mean buggers. Con and Str bonuses, Cha neg. Fighter or Cleric
Ferrets Planners and Rogues Dex bonus Wis neg
Foxes Cunning and Intuitive Natural Clerics
Otters Fun lovin' thinkers Int and Cha bonus but Con and Wis neg Rogues
Rabbits Here are your natural Rangers Fast, Alert and Intelligent
Raccoons Hmmmm ...no matter what I do, they can get my garbage.....
Squirls Lofty and quick. Mages?
Tigers Nothing against you but ..why Tigers? They must be the Giants of the forest. Any-hoo Rangers or Druids I suppose.

Ottergame

First Post
Here are my own ideas, though I think what I have come up with is weak and not very interesting.

Badgers: +2 CON, -2 INT. Hardy and sturdy, but their culture neglects literacy and learning, considering it to be a waste of time. Low light vision, stonecunning as a dwarf, +2 on crafting checks involving stone, metal, or gems. Despite having little education, their artisans are amoung the best in the world, all appraise and craft skills are Wisdom based for badgers if their wisdom is higher than their intelligence. +2 on concentration checks. +2 on intimidate checks. +1 hit point at level level.

Ferrets: +2 DEX, - 2 CON. Quick, but not as well built. Low light vision, -2 on spot checks (their eyesight isn't as sharp as others), +2 search checks (its hard to hide things from someone who just won't give up), +2 on hide and move silently checks. +2 on escape artist checks. May take Weapon Finesse as a feat even if they do not have the prerequisite (this is not a bonus feat), and may take Weapon Finesse on any one handed or light weapons. They do not receave a strength penalty (if any) on ranged (not thrown) weapon damage. +2 on any one Perform skill, though this isn't a class skill for ferrets who take classes without Perform as a class skill.

Foxes: +2 CHA, -2 WIS. Cultured and artistic, they none the less have weak willpowers. +2 on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. +2 on any one Perform skill, and Perform is always a class skill. 1 extra feat at first level that can only be chosen on the General Feat list. Low light vision.

Otters: +2 INT, -2 CON. They spend more time learning and lazing about then working on their bodies. +2 on swim checks and may hold their breath twice as long as normal. +4 skill points at first level, and +1 skill point at every level beyond 1, and these skill points must be chosen from the Knowldge List. All Knowledge skills are class skills. +2 on either any one Knowledge skill check or on Spellcraft checks.

Rabbit: +2 DEX, -2 STR. Quick and agile, they rely less on their subpar strength. Run as a free bonus feat at first level. +2 on balance and jump checks. 1 extra feat at first level. +2 on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks (their traveling lifestyle teaches them to be very diplomatic to those they meet, and they also learn to be wary of lies and deceit).

Raccoons: +2 WIS, -2 CHA. They are very wary of everyone and everything, which has taught them to resist the tempations of others, but this same attitude chaffs others they meet. +4 on sense motive checks, +2 on bluff checks, +2 escape artist checks. +1 on Willpower checks. +2 to resist Enchantments and Illusions, this stacks with the bonus to willpower checks. Low light vision.

Squirrels: +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON, -2 INT. Both quick and strong, they none the less have weak frames and little education. +2 on climb, jump, balance, move silently, tumble, survival, ride, handle animal, and hide checks (they are naturally adept at many things, and their heritage encourages the training in survival and skills important to their culture). They recieve an animal companion at first level like a druid, and the animal rises in Bonus HD, Natural Armor, and Strength exactly like that of a paladin's mount as the squirrel's character level increases, though the animal does not devolp the other special features of a holy mount. The animal may only be a heavy horse, a hawk, or a black bear. If the animal dies or if the master releases it to choose another, it takes one month to find and train another before a new one may take its place.

Tiger: +2 STR, -2 DEX. They are strong, but not as agile as their feline heritage would suggest. +2 on Diplomacy checks. Endurance at first level. Bonus feat at 6th level, which must be either Leadership or Diehard. +2 to Leadership. May Rally (EX), if the tiger is not suffering from Fear, they may use Rally as a standard action, which allows allies within 60 feet who are suffering from fear to make another saving throw against the fear at a +1 morale bonus per ever other level the tiger has attained.

dvvega

Explorer
Sounds like you're trying to develop some kind of campaign based around the Redwall books written by Brian Jacques. If not then you should read the novels and he's even written little info booklets on many of the races.

Aside from that I've done something similar. What I decided to do was to actually move the scale of the world down to the animal level.

Go to your MM and you will find entries for a lot of those creatures. In fact they will be fully statted out for you. You just have to reverse-engineer a little (the ability modifiers for example). Leave them with natural attacks. Even the evolved animal would have some instincts of survival (Badger in Wind in the Willows was handy with a club but also could grapple/rake).

Example from my notes:
Badger: -2 STR, +6 DEX, +4 CON, INT (special: DMG), +2 WIS, -4 CHA
+4 Escape Artist

Now of course you want to evolve these creatures so the simplest method is to modify from that base line.

Allowing actual intelligence scores so take 2 modifiers off everything and impose a -2 INT since animals are not as smart as those around. This adjustment can be removed without much issue. Badger: +4 DEX, +2 CON, -2 INT, -2 CHA, +2 Escape Artist.

That is actually a pretty okay racial template, it keeps its claws and bite and its actual size. ECL +0. Favoured class Barbarian (since they get the rage ability).

The Tiger is probably going to be the hardest since it is a CR 4, Large Animal. Compared to many of the animals you listed, it will chew through them. Why would it even adventure with Small animals?

Of course if you're making each animal bigger to meet the Tiger's size then they should all be advanced to adjust the base animal then reverse engineered.

Ottergame

First Post
dvvega said:
Sounds like you're trying to develop some kind of campaign based around the Redwall books written by Brian Jacques. If not then you should read the novels and he's even written little info booklets on many of the races.

Aside from that I've done something similar. What I decided to do was to actually move the scale of the world down to the animal level.

Go to your MM and you will find entries for a lot of those creatures. In fact they will be fully statted out for you. You just have to reverse-engineer a little (the ability modifiers for example). Leave them with natural attacks. Even the evolved animal would have some instincts of survival (Badger in Wind in the Willows was handy with a club but also could grapple/rake).

Example from my notes:
Badger: -2 STR, +6 DEX, +4 CON, INT (special: DMG), +2 WIS, -4 CHA
+4 Escape Artist

Now of course you want to evolve these creatures so the simplest method is to modify from that base line.

Allowing actual intelligence scores so take 2 modifiers off everything and impose a -2 INT since animals are not as smart as those around. This adjustment can be removed without much issue. Badger: +4 DEX, +2 CON, -2 INT, -2 CHA, +2 Escape Artist.

That is actually a pretty okay racial template, it keeps its claws and bite and its actual size. ECL +0. Favoured class Barbarian (since they get the rage ability).

The Tiger is probably going to be the hardest since it is a CR 4, Large Animal. Compared to many of the animals you listed, it will chew through them. Why would it even adventure with Small animals?

Of course if you're making each animal bigger to meet the Tiger's size then they should all be advanced to adjust the base animal then reverse engineered.

I sorta looked at that when I started, but the MM doesn't come even close to what I have in mind, and Savage Speices is an utter joke when it comes to anthromorphic animals. And it's not Redwall I am making, the races aren't polarized like in those books. Rabbits are no more good and noble than ferrets. And none of the races are small. My largest animal is the badger at an average of 6 foot 5 inches, the ferret is the shortest at an average of 5 foot 5 inches. All are medium sized.

Also, none of the races eat each other. That would be considered as digusting and evil as a white man eatting an asian man. They are fully sentient, and they all see themselves as people.

evolved

First Post
Badger +2 str, -2 dex, +2 con, -2 cha
stonecutting (see dwarf)
darkvision 60 (see half-orc)
20 ft base speed
- 2 spot
+ 2 listen
endurance or toughness as bonus feat for first level
+4 vs poison and disease
stability(see dwarf)
F.C. - Fighter if highly structured society, Ranger if they are less structured and have several racial enemies/rivals, or Barbarian if they are just less structured

well will this help you if so I'll try some of the others if you want

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, but Savage Species has an entire appendix devoted to the stats for anthropomorphic animals. (SS, page 215)

[Edit] Ah, I see that's not what you are looking for.

Well, if you want them to be comparable to the PHB races, then limit any stat mods to no more than +2/-2, make them all medium or small races, give them all low-light vision, give skill bonuses related to your view of their culture.

Last edited:

Zephyrus

First Post
Furry's for D&D

Making furry races that at ECL+0 have been in my experience a total an complete pain in the butt! I've tried several approaches and unfortunatly its difficult considering the varity of furry races possible. However recently I belive I came up with a method for furry races that is fair, hopefully balenced method for doing them. In a nutshell I created a list of furry inclined racial qualities. a master list of sorts and that a given Morph would recieve 2 from the list. the player (or the GM) could state that a certain subspecies or type of furry would get certain abilities.

I did not give any direct stat adjustments however. the biggest problem with +2/-2's is that they can quickly become a bother creating something fair <expecially if giving the players the choice> of where the bonuses went. Instead the only direct stat adjustments I did was that as one (or their two) choice a given race would have a natural inclination twords one or two given stat scores (1 score twice, or two different scores 1 each). At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th or 20th level when you gained a 'ability score point' one time only (unless a given ability was granted two or more times) they'd get double the ability score points. For example Bear morphs might be inclined to be strong and hardy so Bear morphs could, once each, get 'double ability points' for strength and constitution. when 4th level rolls around they could bump their strenght by 2 points instead of one. at 8th level this would only be doable to constitution since strength ws already selected at 4th. In this way I dont feel you have too unbalenced (expecially at low levels) racial bonuses to abilities.

This is rather vague I know but thats cause I wrote it to encompass alot of differnt furry types.

Remove ads