Would the spell "Alter Self" give those using it the ability to reproduce as what they've changed into?

Starfox

Hero
I think it's important it be referred to in the rules even if it's ignored. Then it's specifically ignored. Besides, I wasn't referring to rules the players necessarily knew.

Put it in a rule book, and players are likely to know it - some of them do GM on the side, you know.

If you mean put this in campaign rules for use in your campaign, I am all for that. Still I don't think such rules should be secret form the players, even as house rules - as I said above GMing "gotcha" play is something I feel is very bad.

But I don't think it belongs in regular printed rules except as a sidebar like "you can play like this".

S

Sunseeker

Since there doesn't seem to be any particular ruling on the subject, if you were to ask at my table, I would say yes. Provided I felt the group were mature enough to not turn it into some kind of perverted running gag, and since I don't include things like rape or sexual assault, I would gladly give fair warning that if you wanted to play the game this way, and slept with the opposite sex, all the consequences could apply.

Short of magical abilities, I see no reason why "alter self" wouldn't give you the fully functional physical attributes of the chosen race. I mean, how different is alter-selfing into a 4-armed bug-man different from alter-selfing into a woman? You may not have the skills to make multiple attacks with the extra arms, but that doesn't mean they don't function at all. If magic makes you grow arms, why would a uterus/testicles be any different?

Celebrim

Legend
Short of magical abilities, I see no reason why "alter self" wouldn't give you the fully functional physical attributes of the chosen race.

Because alter self just gives you the appearance of being something else. It doesn't actually change your basic nature. You just stretch your flesh around to give yourself the shape of something, but fundamentally you are still you.

I mean, how different is alter-selfing into a 4-armed bug-man different from alter-selfing into a woman?

Because in both cases you don't actually turn into a 4 armed bug-man or change your gender. You just acquire the outward appearance of having done so. To actually change you basic nature requires more powerful magic, one that grants you the extraordinary qualities of your chosen form.

S

Sunseeker

Because alter self just gives you the appearance of being something else. It doesn't actually change your basic nature. You just stretch your flesh around to give yourself the shape of something, but fundamentally you are still you.
So you're telling me your flesh is altered, re-positioned, and otherwise rearranged so that you are a physically functional member of the chosen species. You're saying that I would basically be an elf, with elf flesh, rearranged into the shape of a bug-man? Yet, this rearranged, remolded and otherwise physically altered flesh still functions as though it were a bug-man?

Because in both cases you don't actually turn into a 4 armed bug-man or change your gender. You just acquire the outward appearance of having done so. To actually change you basic nature requires more powerful magic, one that grants you the extraordinary qualities of your chosen form.
I really disagree with this basic nature stuff. By your logic, an alter-self spell is really just a glamor. A magical sheen making you look
like the other race.

Besides, I only spoke about how I would rule at my table, I wasn't really making an argument that it should be one way or the other.

Celebrim

Legend
So you're telling me your flesh is altered, re-positioned, and otherwise rearranged so that you are a physically functional member of the chosen species.

No. I'm telling you that your flesh altered and repositioned and otherwise rearranged so that you are NOT a physically functional member of the chosen species. You just superficially look like a functional member of the chosen species, and have a few largely superficial traits of the chosen species.

You're saying that I would basically be an elf, with elf flesh, rearranged into the shape of a bug-man?

Yes.

Yet, this rearranged, remolded and otherwise physically altered flesh still functions as though it were a bug-man?

No, it doesn't. That's the point. If you read the text, you'll discover you don't really get any of the bug-man's traits and qualities. So if Bug-Men are capable of seeing in the dark, have an acute sense of smell, and produce venom, your rearranged elf flesh can't do any of that. Likewise, if bug-men are Vermin, your type remains humanoid. The only actual type you can gain from alter self is the sub-type aquatic.

Likewise, if you use alter self to change your gender from human male to human female, you have the external genitalia of a human female, but you don't gain the extraordinary quality of say producing milk or having ovaries or a womb, because Alter Self only produces superficial resemblance. That's a ruling, but its a ruling consistent with the text of the spell.

By your logic, an alter-self spell is really just a glamor. A magical sheen making you look
like the other race.

No, disguise self is basically a glamor. Alter self produces an actual physical change, say you sprout wings, but it doesn't produce any real deep change in your essential nature.

Besides, I only spoke about how I would rule at my table, I wasn't really making an argument that it should be one way or the other.

Sure. But your ruling is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what alter self does. The text is quite specific that you gain none of the qualities of the new form. You just gain the physical appearance of the new form. Your limbs for example can largely function, but in no way necessarily as well as the form you've adopted. If Bug-Men have 4 arms, you'll be able to control the extra two, but because you haven't actually become a Bug-Man but are still an elf, you won't be able to control them as well as a Bug-Man.

If you look at the text of higher level shape change spells, you'll see some or all of these restrictions are lifted - you really become the thing you change into.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Meta-textual answer:

The rules don't give a specific answer. Upon reading the question, people will form an immediate opinion. Some people will tell you it works, some people will tell you it doesn't. Tortured interpretations of the rules will be given that are not accepted by people with the opposing viewpoint as legitimate.

Wiser people will tell you that whatever works for your game is what matters. If you don't want to investigate the possibilities, say no. If you do, then say yes, and let us know the results.

S

Sunseeker

I'll preface with: I sincerely prefer Pathfinder in this regard. The spell text is significantly shorter and much clearer in what exactly happens. Yes yes I know that this is a 3.5 not a 3.75 thread but the two are far too similar to make the distinction worth anything significant.

No. I'm telling you that your flesh altered and repositioned and otherwise rearranged so that you are NOT a physically functional member of the chosen species. You just superficially look like a functional member of the chosen species, and have a few largely superficial traits of the chosen species

First, this is inaccurate by the 3.5 SRD spell description linked in the OP, to quote:

SRD as linked in the OP said:
You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.
So, basically what the spell text is saying is 100% contradictory to what you are claiming it says. Your elf flesh is not altered into simply appearing to be a hard, chitenous exoskeleton, it literally BECOMES a hard chitinous exoskeleton. Your dainty elfy fingers do not simply appear to be razor-sharp claws, they BECOME razor sharp claws. Your pretty elf teeth do not simply appear to be gruesome mandibles nor do they simply give off the latent potential of a bite attack. You have 100% functional mandibles that give you a 100% natural bite attack.

SRD said:
You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth

You may be reading too much into this line, where I do not gain any particular extraordinary qualities of species I transformed into. I personally find this line almost contradictory to the previous one, which is why I prefer Pathfinder. If my skin becomes true chitenous armor, then when my eyes become buggy, how come they don't work like it? I find it jarring. Again: this is why I rule as such at my table.

No, it doesn't. That's the point. If you read the text, you'll discover you don't really get any of the bug-man's traits and qualities.
Actually, you gain quite a few, but all of them physical and related to your actual magical transformation into a physical member of the species.

So if Bug-Men are capable of seeing in the dark, have an acute sense of smell, and produce venom, your rearranged elf flesh can't do any of that.
Those are extraordinary, often supernatural qualities. Given that every species is capable of reproduction, I wouldn't consider the ability to reproduce any more spectacular than a natural bite attack. Hence why IMO if you gain a natural claw or bite, or even flight, you would certainly be functional downstairs.

Likewise, if bug-men are Vermin, your type remains humanoid. The only actual type you can gain from alter self is the sub-type aquatic.
Which was not something I disagreed with. Perhaps suggesting that

Likewise, if you use alter self to change your gender from human male to human female, you have the external genitalia of a human female, but you don't gain the extraordinary quality of say producing milk or having ovaries or a womb, because Alter Self only produces superficial resemblance. That's a ruling, but its a ruling consistent with the text of the spell.
You're saying that those are extra-ordinary qualities, not the rules. I'm saying that given that every species has reproductive qualities, these are not "rare and species-exclusive" abilities that would be restricted by the rules text. Hence, I do not feel that when transforming into another species or the opposite sex or both, that these would not be traits you do not gain. Further, if we want to get really nitty-gritty, males of mammalian species DO produce milk, their capabilities are simply underdeveloped. How is this different from transforming from a species with wings that do not allow it to fly(say, a Tiefling) to a species with wings that do(such as a Strix)? Further, if we want to get scientific about it, the testes and the ovaries are same organ, altered through specific processes during birth to become one or the other. If "Alter-self" can turn my skin into chitenous armor, I don't see why it can't turn my testes into ovaries or vice-versua.

Though, again, I've pointed out the inconsistencies within the rules themselves. If my skin is physically transforming into chiton, why are my eyes somehow only altering in shape but not quality? Again: this is why I like the Pathfinder rules, they are more internally consistent.

No, disguise self is basically a glamor. Alter self produces an actual physical change, say you sprout wings, but it doesn't produce any real deep change in your essential nature.
I don't find your argument that sexual organs are "deep change in your essential nature" to be convincing. The rules merely state that type and species really remain the same. There is really nothing said about your sex.

Sure. But your ruling is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of what alter self does.
Frankly, from the quotes I've provided, I don't believe it is I who has a misunderstand of the spell.

The text is quite specific that you gain none of the qualities of the new form.
Actually the text is quite specific that you do, including but not limited to:
Natural armor.
Natural attacks.
Movement speeds.
Modes of Movement(flight, tunneling).
Gross Physical qualities.

You just gain the physical appearance of the new form.
That is quite simply, FALSE, flat on it's face, false. I suggest you re-read the rules text, particularly the sections I've quoted above, where you gain quite a bit of traits related to that physical appearance.

Your limbs for example can largely function, but in no way necessarily as well as the form you've adopted. If Bug-Men have 4 arms, you'll be able to control the extra two, but because you haven't actually become a Bug-Man but are still an elf, you won't be able to control them as well as a Bug-Man.
But my point had nothing to do with skill, only capability.

If you look at the text of higher level shape change spells, you'll see some or all of these restrictions are lifted - you really become the thing you change into.
For the most part, that opens up supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.

Reproduction certainly isn't supernatural, it's not spell-like, and I would consider reproduction far more mundane than even poison. The base words of "extraordinary" are "extra" and "ordinary", which mean essentially "out of the ordinary". Would you suggest that reproduction is out of the ordinary, something that does not happen on a regular basis, or possibly even abnormal? I would not. It is as natural to every species as is breathing or eating. Perhaps with magical creatures, such as dragons, demons(not devils though, as Succubi and others can freely get pregnant as mortals do), or angels this would not apply since their mode of reproduction is magical. But reproduction is hardly a miracle, and certainly not an extraordinary ability of the vast majority of species.

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
As an aside, the world "glamor" was mentioned above. IMO, glamor is not illusion. Glamor is a change that is unreal, but unless you are able to discern magic or are guided by strong faith, it appears real to all tests. A glamored bridge can carry your weight, a glamored sword can kill, a glamored suit of armor can protect, a lady glamored into a man is a man for all intents and purposes, glamored food can be eaten and derived nourishment from. And all kinds of polymorph and shape change is certainly glamor.

In my opinion, "glamor" is simply magic in the DnD/Pathfinder sense. Anything that can be discerned as false with True Seeing or dispelled is glamor.

Just my 2 denarii, after playing a lot of Pendragon.

Celebrim

Legend
I'll preface with: I sincerely prefer Pathfinder in this regard. The spell text is significantly shorter and much clearer in what exactly happens.

The pathfinder rules aren't clearer. They require an enormous amount of interpretation (what happens if you try to create a disguise with one?).

First, this is inaccurate by the 3.5 SRD spell description linked in the OP, to quote:

I know the SRD. It's not inaccurate. You gain the form and shape of the thing you change into and all the qualities that are intrinsic to having a particular shape, but you don't gain any of the qualities of BEING the new creature. So, if you have claws, they are functional as claws. If you have wings, they are functional as wings. And so forth. But none of that makes you into the new creature. You just have the shape of that creature.

You may be reading too much into this line...

No, I'm not.

I personally find this line almost contradictory to the previous one...

It's not.

which is why I prefer Pathfinder.

Pathfinder makes it even more clear that you don't become the thing that you change into, though they tweaked it as you say to simplify the spell and also make it easier to balance.

If my skin becomes true chitenous armor, then when my eyes become buggy, how come they don't work like it? I find it jarring.

*sigh* It wouldn't be jarring if you just accepted what I'm telling you instead of trying to find a contradiction that isn't there.

If "Alter-self" can turn my skin into chitenous armor, I don't see why it can't turn my testes into ovaries or vice-versua.

Maybe it doesn't turn your skin into chitenous armor. Maybe it just rearranges your bones so they are on the outside. In any event, even gaining the chitenous armor was a change in the spell instituted in 3.5. It didn't work that way in prior editions. They changed it so that you could gain natural armor to to sex up the spell... and promptly broke it, because gaining that much potential natural armor was way overpowered in a 2nd level spell.

Actually the text is quite specific that you do, including but not limited to:
Natural armor.
Natural attacks.
Movement speeds.
Modes of Movement(flight, tunneling).
Gross Physical qualities.

All of which are traits related to having a particular shape. I suggest you re-read the rules text. You gain quite a number of traits, but they are all traits related to having a particular shape.

Why don't we read the 3e rules text straight from the PH:

"You alter your appearance and form - including clothing and equipment - to appear taller or shorter, thin, fat, or in between. The assumed form must be corporeal. Your body can undergo a limited physical transformation, including adding or subtracting one or two limbs, and your weight can be changed up to one half. If the form selected has wings, you can fly a speed of 30 feet with poor maneuverability. Your attack rolls, natural armor bonus, and saves do not change. The spell does not confer special abilities, attack forms, defenses, ability scores, or mannerisms of the chosen form. Once the new form is chosen, it remains for the duration of the spell. If you are slain, you automatically return to your chosen form. If you use this spell to create a disguise you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check."

That's really clear.

Reproduction certainly isn't supernatural, it's not spell-like, and I would consider reproduction far more mundane than even poison. The base words of "extraordinary" are "extra" and "ordinary", which mean essentially "out of the ordinary".

Extraordinary is a technical term in 3.X D&D. It basically means 'not supernatural'. Anything ability that is specific to a creature's being, but isn't supernatural, is extraordinary. I'm here making what I think is the obvious and consistent ruling - any aspect of reproduction that is more than mere shape and form is extraordinary, and therefore not acquired by a mere Alter Self.

Celebrim

Legend
As an aside, the world "glamor" was mentioned above. IMO, glamor is not illusion. Glamor is a change that is unreal, but unless you are able to discern magic or are guided by strong faith, it appears real to all tests.

In both D&D and Pendragon, glamor is a technical term. A D&D glamor is a change in the objects sensory qualities that appears real to almost all tests, but which is in fact unreal and therefore cannot perform real work. Glamor bridges in D&D can't bear weight. Glamor swords can't kill. Glamor fire can't burn. To create real effects in D&D you need stronger forms of illusion.

Glamor is another term for magic, so its exact function depends on the magical system in question.

Remove ads