• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow 'Craft Magic Arms & Armors' and the Psionic version to interact?

JCLabelle

First Post
This is borderline house rules I admit. Still, an interesting balance question I think.

In a world where Magic and Psionic forces are pretty much the same thing and freely interact with each other, very much as in the Psi Handbook, would you allow someone with 'Craft Psionic Arms and Armors' ( or any other Psi item creation feat ) to create the arms/armors described in the Chapter 8 of the DMG as long as an Arcane/Divine spellcaster was present to help meet the Prerequisites?

In short, would you allow the Psi and Magic item creation feats to be pretty much the same thing?

I am asking this because it seems Psionic characters are much more limited in the items they can make. There will be rarely more than one Psi character in a group, whereas there will be multiple Arcane/Divine spellcasters in most. Combined with the fact that Psionic characters are very limited in their selection of powers, it makes the Psionic version of the feats much weaker in comparison to the Magic ones. At least the Sorcerer has the option to ask his Divine/Arcane friends to help provide the prerequisite Spells.

kreynolds

First Post
JCLabelle said:
From a purely balance perspective please.

No. Psionics are psionics and magic is magic. For purely balance purposes, I would not allow it. You should take the necessary item creation feats for each medium.

rhammer2

First Post
It depends on your campaign. If you are using the standard rules where magic and psionics are the same, then the feats are the same as well. If you traet the powers as if they are different, the feats are different.

JCLabelle said:
This is borderline house rules I admit. Still, an interesting balance question I think.

In a world where Magic and Psionic forces are pretty much the same thing and freely interact with each other, very much as in the Psi Handbook, would you allow someone with 'Craft Psionic Arms and Armors' ( or any other Psi item creation feat ) to create the arms/armors described in the Chapter 8 of the DMG as long as an Arcane/Divine spellcaster was present to help meet the Prerequisites?

In short, would you allow the Psi and Magic item creation feats to be pretty much the same thing?

I am asking this because it seems Psionic characters are much more limited in the items they can make. There will be rarely more than one Psi character in a group, whereas there will be multiple Arcane/Divine spellcasters in most. Combined with the fact that Psionic characters are very limited in their selection of powers, it makes the Psionic version of the feats much weaker in comparison to the Magic ones. At least the Sorcerer has the option to ask his Divine/Arcane friends to help provide the prerequisite Spells.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Would you allow 'Craft Magic Arms & Armors' and the Psionic version to interact?

rhammer2 said:
It depends on your campaign. If you are using the standard rules where magic and psionics are the same, then the feats are the same as well. If you traet the powers as if they are different, the feats are different.

Whoops. I should have been more clear in my post. I treat them as different. Doh! :)

JCLabelle

First Post
Yes, I'm talking a world where they freely interact with each other. They're the same Energy, Wizards and Psionics just use very different ways of calling upon it.

kreynolds

First Post
JCLabelle said:
Yes, I'm talking a world where they freely interact with each other. They're the same Energy, Wizards and Psionics just use very different ways of calling upon it.

OK. I still wouldn't allow it though. I would require you to purchase the neccesary feats.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads