• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow Diplomacy the ability to insult as well as negotiate?

Starglim

Explorer
Makes perfect sense, providing only that the target is intelligent enough actually to recognise he's being insulted. I don't see Diplomacy covering simple crudity very well.

GammaPaladin

First Post
Diplomacy is the skill of influencing people. There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to use it to influence people towards hating you (Or even goad them into attacking you) if that's what you want to use it for.

Aeric

Explorer
GammaPaladin said:
Diplomacy is the skill of influencing people. There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to use it to influence people towards hating you (Or even goad them into attacking you) if that's what you want to use it for.

QFT.

green slime

First Post
Umbran said:
Some would say that diplomacy is the art of insulting while retaining plausible deniability.

Yes, I'd certainly allow someone with diplomacy to negatively influence NPC reaction. A character with diplomacy always knows what not to say - and can then choose to say exactly that.

I agree completely

the Jester

Legend
Absolutely! Diplomacy is the art of changing peoples' attitudes (in game terms); I'd have no problem with someone using it to change someone's attitude to a less friendly one. I think that's a great idea.

I once played a bard who took Perform (insults) and Perform (ethnic jokes).

Remove ads