• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow this paladin in your game? (new fiction added 11/11/08)

Would you allow this paladin character in your game?

Fighter1

Explorer
shilsen said:
I'll have to go back and check on the little elements in how I'd written him up which tend towards certain mechanics. I definitely hadn't set him up as a TWF guy in the fight with the succubus and the cleric, but he does strike me as a lightly armored type. Maybe using a one-handed weapon with no shield (oh, the horror!) or even a rapier with Weapon Finesse. I'm also thinking a couple of levels of rogue would fit Cedric fine and give him the varied skillset I have in mind.

I think there are some feats out there that might go with the Paly abilities and sneak attack? In CA - also in there is the PrC "Shadowbane Inquisitor" from CA; that might be a good long term path for this guy...

Fighter1

Explorer
shilsen said:
I'll have to go back and check on the little elements in how I'd written him up which tend towards certain mechanics. I definitely hadn't set him up as a TWF guy in the fight with the succubus and the cleric, but he does strike me as a lightly armored type. Maybe using a one-handed weapon with no shield (oh, the horror!) or even a rapier with Weapon Finesse. I'm also thinking a couple of levels of rogue would fit Cedric fine and give him the varied skillset I have in mind.

I think there are some feats out there that might go with the Paly abilities and sneak attack? In CA - also in there is the PrC "Shadowbane Inquisitor" from CA; that might be a good long term path for this guy...

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
shilsen said:
Actually I've never really tried to stat Cedric out. Considering the way I've written him, I don't think the mechanics would be particularly unusual. Maybe I should do it sometime just to give people more to argue about :D
My intent exactly! :D
shilsen said:
Any suggestions for level and/or anything else, folks? He wouldn't be too low-level, since he took out a succubus (albeit while using enchanted teeth ;)) and a buffed up evil cleric on his own.
I'd say he's about CL 6-9, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he "recieved the calling" to become a Paladin after he had started his career as a Fighter (2-4 levels).

I picture him something like this, statwise:

STR 15-18 (He's very strong)
DEX 10-15 (Seems nimble as well)
CON 14-17 (He sure takes a beating, and I know I can't have 7 drinks without it impairing me)
INT 12-14 (I get the impression he's smart, and doesn't get stumped by many)
WIS 10-12 (His judgement can be a little questionable, however. I'm really not sure what to give him)
CHA 14-17 (He's got a powerful personality, and relates to the common man very well)

shilsen

Adventurer
krunchyfrogg said:
My intent exactly! :D

I knew I liked you for some reason :)

I'd say he's about CL 6-9, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he "recieved the calling" to become a Paladin after he had started his career as a Fighter (2-4 levels).

I picture him something like this, statwise:

STR 15-18 (He's very strong)
DEX 10-15 (Seems nimble as well)
CON 14-17 (He sure takes a beating, and I know I can't have 7 drinks without it impairing me)
INT 12-14 (I get the impression he's smart, and doesn't get stumped by many)
WIS 10-12 (His judgement can be a little questionable, however. I'm really not sure what to give him)
CHA 14-17 (He's got a powerful personality, and relates to the common man very well)

Aaaah, you made Cedric a munchkin! Actually, that's a pretty good set of judgement calls. I see him in D&D terms as not having any stats maxed out but all of them above average.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
shilsen said:
I knew I liked you for some reason :)

Aaaah, you made Cedric a munchkin! Actually, that's a pretty good set of judgement calls. I see him in D&D terms as not having any stats maxed out but all of them above average.
Munchkin? No way! He just doesn't seem to have any low stats. Heck, if anything his wisdom could go down even more for being foolhardy, but that's part of being a Paladin. ;)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Fighter1 said:
PRotitution being a-moral is a Christian (catholic) concept; stemming from a very small group who took power and felt that the body kept men separate from god…coupling was evil based on that – I’ll stop there and I won’t get into the history for various reasons but read them ‘ole history books well and you’ll see where all this “anti sexuality” stuff comes from.
wow, religion, politics and telling people their opinions all in one neat little package! :eek: I gotta admit, I'm impressed.

Prostitution being amoral or immoral is an opinion that many people hold for many reasons. Telling someone what theirs is is pretty poor form. I'm uncomfortable with broad acceptance of prostitution for reasons that have zilch to do with the catholic church or "anti-sexuality". (which I acknowlege are political, so I'm gonna hold off.)

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
wow, religion, politics and telling people their opinions all in one neat little package! :eek: I gotta admit, I'm impressed.

Prostitution being amoral or immoral is an opinion that many people hold for many reasons. Telling someone what theirs is is pretty poor form. I'm uncomfortable with broad acceptance of prostitution for reasons that have zilch to do with the catholic church or "anti-sexuality". (which I acknowlege are political, so I'm gonna hold off.)
And this relates to the above Paladin suggestion how?

In a world where Gods are real, show up before thier congregations, battle with one another, and bestow thier divine favor and grace, it's pretty positive that there would be little or no murky areas. You would know for a FACT whether or not your god approved of prostitution.

Like I said before: He'd make an excellent Paladin of Lust.

Even the Paladin in the Village of Hommlet from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is a boozing, wenching Paladin.

I think it'd be a particularly fun Paladin to play, as you'd have to walk a careful line to avoid becoming one of the Fallen.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:

I think what he is saying is that the notions of today's general society were shaped by those early influences, even if those influences are not the reasons people would state today. In some sense, this is true. It is quite surprising how many ideas that many people find to be common today (or at least some that one would think came earlier) originated in 10th-12th century that the church, as a political force in the middle ages, created for reasons that were often quite interesting (no divorces and crackdowns on 'legitimate' children versus bastards (as well as primogeniture)? 12th century reforms hoping to crack down on wars caused by angry fathers of the first wife that was thrown away for the second and succession wars, respectively. Complicated incest prohibitions that keep you from marrying third cousins? That's the escape clause for the no divorces thing for royals--you could pretty much always prove incest and have it annulled, like Eleanor of Aquitane did with her first husband before marrying Henry II, who was even *more* closesly related).

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
AviLazar said:
Where in the RAW does it flat out say "Prostitution is wrong" or some such words.

AviLazar said:
And as for the game rules...find me a pssage in WoTC's books that say prostitution is evil and then my paladin will start smiting the hookers in Sharn.

Actually, I'm almost positive that the Book of Exalted Deeds says this.

*shrug* But take that with a grain of salt. I have developed an intense dislike of that book. And I was disappointed in the Book of Vile Deeds. So many opportunities for quality stuff in those books, but instead we are left with so many wasted, dead trees.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads