Would you allow this?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
No, I would not as there are no Aasamir in my campaign setting. However, if there were, I would allow it.

What he said.

If you would have allowed the winged/flying character in the first place, there's no reason to not allow it later. especially in such a badass, innovative story development. Think of the directions you could go with that afterward! Why did it happen? Why then? What changes might this signify in the divine realms?

I'd be all over it.

guachi

Hero
I'll be the Debbie Downer and say that I'd be inclined not to allow it. The player knowingly and willingly made a choice to not have wings and when it mattered decided at the spur of the moment to change his mind.

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't have a problem with flying characters, so I'm strongly inclined to say yes for all the reasons cited by others.

I do think I'd also take into account how the characters been played to that point - much like a cleric being in good standing with their deity.
As for real wings vs temporary/energy wings? It'd depend on what would be cooler for the story & the players preference.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'll be the Debbie Downer and say that I'd be inclined not to allow it. The player knowingly and willingly made a choice to not have wings and when it mattered decided at the spur of the moment to change his mind.

Yes, but after many lvs.
And this is why I said I'd probably take prior play into account (similar to a cleric being in good standing with their deity).

ccs

41st lv DM
My problem with this issue would be three-fold.

First, there's no documentation that Aasimar can re-grow or regenerate wings which have been severed or scorched off.

So? I'm the DM. I don't need WoTC, TSR, or someone else, to have documented something in order for me to make it so. And neither do you.

Second, the sudden sprouting of full-strength-wings regenerated that quickly?

Magic.

Third, the PC can now use these wings, without any
adjustment period, or practice?

Magic.
And of course this Asimar used to have wings and already knows how to use them.

I’m kind-of torn here. On the one hand, yes, it seems like an awesome moment. On the other hand, this was a character decision the player made, giving up their flight, and those decisions matter.

I guess what would decide me in the hypothetical situation is whether it is a selfish or selfless act. In the near-TPK, does this save the party, or does it save just their character. If it’s just the PC casting aside their earlier narrative choice to save their hide alone, no, I think I’d disallow it. If it’s something that saves the group (like, the PC gets to fly up and pull the lever that unleashes a flow of magma that obliterates the monsters), then yes, I think I’d allow it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm strongly on the Yes side - with the caveat that the player(s) need to give me a reason why that we fit into the narrative. So no mechanical issues, just have it make sense. (And that "makes sense" could even include thinks like making a pact with a patron like a warlock does.)

I have player(s) allowing the plural there because the whole group brainstorming these out (with me included as DM) usually gets great results.

Remove ads