D&D General Would you buy an AI-generated Castle Greyhawk "by" Gary Gygax?" Should you?

aco175

Legend
I remember a Cheers TV show where one of them got some fake meat called baaf which they said tasted like real meat and the funny was when they said if you like the baaf, wait until you try to loobster. Another example is the calamari urban legend that most is made from pig butt instead of from squid since it has the same look and texture.

Could AI make a module that is fun to run and I not know it is real or Memorex, sure. Would the cost be a fraction of the real module, likely not.

Now, could AI make a module like how I make them and save me time and effort? That might be better than having one touted by another author that I may or may not like.

Clint_L

Hero
Yes, they'd love to do it. But they'd have no copyright protection for something created using generative AI that includes works that they do not wholly control
Citation needed.

Recent court rulings on AI (in the US), do not rule out copyright protection (in the US) for AI-generated work, only for work that is only or overwhelmingly the product of AI. Other legal jurisdictions will have other rulings. Whether or not the style of AI used (i.e. a generative AI trained on other works) would void copyright is an open question and likely to vary according to circumstances, and, again, legal jurisdiction.

It is very early days for these questions, there is already tons of ongoing litigation, there are many styles of AI, and the situation is extremely fluid, so beware of black and white claims about relevant law, IMO.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Citation needed.

Recent court rulings on AI (in the US), do not rule out copyright protection (in the US) for AI-generated work, only for work that is only or overwhelmingly the product of AI.
I'm not going to provide a citation for words that you agree with.

Divine2021

Adventurer
Hell no, I wouldn’t defile the dead in that way. Steal from the dead, so the living can make a quick buck? So I can pretend to get enjoyment or an emotional high from a computer pretending to be a dead man? Disgusting, immoral, vile. It’s like people haven’t learned the lessons of Antigone.

Remove ads