• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you buy an updated PHB every year?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I'll be real honest, I would buy a new updated PHB.
i imagine though, that the core rules PDF will be updated, so either way for me.

delericho

Legend
Mearls mentioned recently that there will be a feedback collection round probably at the beginning of 2015, and IIRC they have been talking about the possibility to update the rules of 5e once a year.

Terrible idea. The ongoing revisions were probably the single worst thing about 4e, and I really hope WotC have learned that lesson.

Far better, IMO, to release one set of errata a suitable period after a book is produced, and thereafter to live with anything else that is found.

If they incorporate them into new prints of the PHB, would you re-buy the PHB to have it up-to-date (or how much updated does it have to be for you to buy it again)?

At $50? Not a chance. I had to think long and hard about whether to buy it once at that price. (And I'm aware of the discount available on Amazon US. It doesn't apply to me, what with me being in the UK.)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I would be fine with errata PDFs and updates to Dungeonscape/the PRD as necessary, yearly "targeted updates" as described by Mearls, and maybe updated core hardbacks every five years similar to a "point-five" edition, but what I would hope is that this would be an /ongoing/ solution, with the game evolving organically over time rather than being subject to a six-to-eight-year reboot cycle.

I would buy new core books every /five/ years if if meant my supplementary material never became obsolete or required baseline conversion. Yes, I would do that.

THIS. I think Wizards should start viewing adventures as their "evergreen" products, rather than the core books. The real strength of D&D as a system has always been the wealth of adventurers (Pathfinder was a success in part because you could keep using all your old 3.0/3.5 adventures with minimal conversion). So I don't really care whether, when, or how they next revise the core rules; as long as the adventures stay compatible, the decision to upgrade can be made by each gaming group. Groups that don't upgrade can keep giving Wizards their money and keep getting new adventures; groups that do upgrade can still benefit from the large adventure catalog.

mcintma

First Post
IMO they should implement a searchable 5e SRD like d20pfsrd, with the core mechanics (at least). This SRD is updated and has the latest fixes. So even if you're gaming mostly with books, you can quickly search the SRD if you suspect something has been altered, etc.

It's easier than scanning a PDF (the errata, or the updated Basic). Also much easier than having to print yearly errata pages and slip them into your PHB ;)

Warskull

First Post
You don't have to buy updated PHBs with Basic edition.

If they handle things correctly, they can just update the basic edition rules to feature any rules clarifications and system changes. The real meat and potatoes of the PHB are the extra classes, races, feats, and spells.

fjw70

Adventurer
IMO they should implement a searchable 5e SRD like d20pfsrd, with the core mechanics (at least). This SRD is updated and has the latest fixes. So even if you're gaming mostly with books, you can quickly search the SRD if you suspect something has been altered, etc.

It's easier than scanning a PDF (the errata, or the updated Basic). Also much easier than having to print yearly errata pages and slip them into your PHB ;)

This sounds like part of what they are doing with DungeonScape. Sounds like the basic rules will be free in there but you would have to buy the rest of the core.

Personally I won't be buying an errated PHB. First, the original PHB was done really well (not perfect but nothing is perfect) and I just can't imagine there could be that many changes to warrant a new book. Maybe they would include a few clarifications on a few abilities or spells but I expect those to be small in number and easy to incorporate.

Besides, I am sure any changes/errata will be updated in the basic rules and DungeonScape.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads