Would you have allowed this?

jadrax

Adventurer
No, his carry backpack is pretty light. The heavier stuff is in the saddlebags which was left on the horse he rode on to get to the Temple. They were not on horseback during combat.

It it not that full, it is probably a lot easier to get the mask out of it then.

I have had people put stuff in my pack without noticing, I am not sure I have ever had anyone take something out. (Although stuff has fallen out and I haven't noticed).

I think I would have probably made the difficulty the Wizards passive perception with the +5 passive Advantage bonus, tbh. That might be a bit easy, but it is in a ballpark I think most people could accept.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I can only go on personal experience, but when I walk the Pennine way, I can tell you that every chance to take your pack off, you take.

Its not just the facts its heavy, its that it completely alters your balance. Even sitting down with a full pack on is pretty ill advised because it pulls you down in ways you really don't want to bend. Actually trying to dodge a sword blow or an arrow, I would think you would end up on the floor 90% of the time.

Based on personal experience, for a short time back in 1986 I was a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and trained to be a fighter in full armor swinging a rattan sword and wooden shield. The total kit weighed about 120 lbs, which is just short of my body weight at the time (I'm a little guy). Although it was exhausting wearing the outfit and in combat, I could only last a few minutes wearing all that while attacking and parrying blows, however, despite the encumbrance by weight, it was fairly evenly distributed across my entire body, so there was no off-balancing affect tending me towards being on my behind instead of standing on my own 2 feet. Admittedly, when exhausted after attempting combat for a few minutes in full armor, I wasn't able to hold the shield high enough to block head shots, as it became too heavy - but, even when exhausted, I wasn't physically compelled to be on the ground. At no time was this the case. Only a kill shot knocked you off your feet, not the weight of the armor. Note I wasn't very experienced and was only in the SCA two summers, so I was not as adept at doing this as others, so if encumbrance was an issue and would tend to keep you on the ground, it would be so for me, and it wasn't. I disagree with your statement, based on actual experience.

Wearing a heavy backpack with all the weight on your back (one area), instead of a full suit of armor, which is heavier, but more evenly distributed have no comparison in its affects regarding the wearer's balance. I was in the US Army back then, at the same time, so I am also experienced walking with a heavy back pack - that activity was indeed a balance issue, but not even close to the same thing as wearing full armor.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
I can only go on personal experience, but when I walk the Pennine way, I can tell you that every chance to take your pack off, you take.

Had to Google the "Pennine Way" Learnt something. :)
For those of you that are also unfamiliar it is a national trail in England with a little of it in Scotland.

It is not that full, it is probably a lot easier to get the mask out of it then.

Ritual components, a dragon-skinned spellbook, a sack with the mask, iron rations and a waterskin. He relies on others to carry dungeoneering equipment.

I think I would have probably made the difficulty the Wizards passive perception with the +5 passive Advantage bonus, tbh. That might be a bit easy, but it is in a ballpark I think most people could accept.

He would probably be 1 point short then - as he scored a 15.
10 + 5 (passive advantage) + 1 (wisdom modifier) = 16.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yes, I've done lots of hiking myself. The wizard is probably not carrying his bedroll and tent, among other things. So, I expect the analogy fails somewhat.

Its not just the facts its heavy, its that it completely alters your balance.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But people don't generally survive hundreds of lethal swordfights in their lives either, but our characters seem to manage it. So, somewhere, the game splits from reality pretty severely. We have to draw the line as to how picky we are going to be, and where we will choose to be picky.

To choose just one genre favorite - Robert E Howard didn't spend a lot of time talking about the weight distribution of Conan's gear. He did spend time talking about how hard it is to sneak around and take things without others noticing.

jadrax

Adventurer
Ritual components, a dragon-skinned spellbook, a sack with the mask, iron rations and a waterskin. He relies on others to carry dungeoneering equipment.

Yeah, that's pretty light. I am not sure I would even have a pack for carrying that. Although a day's water can be quite heavy; and if its a big Encyclopedia Britannica type book maybe.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Whatever the wizard sleeps in he is carrying unless there is a base camp outside the dungeon they go to every night.

I would have allowed a roll since the Barbarian was invisible but it would have a very low chance of success. Perhaps a contest of skills perception vs sleight of hand where the wizard has advantage.

Remove ads