• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you hold it against a book if...

Golandrinel

First Post
.. Fluffy, Cherub-like, Doey Eyed, Soft ... Makes girls say "AHHHH!" ... like a kitten....

I think that you're interpretting my usage of the word wrongly...

reiella

Explorer
1) Yea it probably would hurt. There are alot of folks out there who just vehemently dislike anime style in general.

2) This post will do a similiar amount of damage however, as a good number of those folks tend to not be able to identify 'anime/manga' style. So far in fact as to label any animation with good 'animated choreography' as being done in anime style which seemed to be quite common with a few similiar releases.

[ Add ]

Dark Sun as Anime is easy. In fact, the basic theme is used alot in some anime. Genesis Survivor Gaiairth is pretty close (sans Tech Level, but the feel is close).

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Well, I'm currently running two campaigns in the same setting during divergent time periods: One during the height of an Empire, and another in the long-term aftermath of that Empire's collapse.

For the later campaign (which is the "main" one), I prefer giving things a very grim Brom-like look. For the earlier campaign, though, I like giving things a more anime-style look, especially in regards to the Imperial Psi Brigades, Ceramic Spelljamming vessels, and other such elements.

In regards to products, I guess it depends on the setting. Anime tossed in with other various art styles wouldn't bother me, but if used as the primary "look" of a product, I'd certainly hope it compliments the style of the material. If I wasn't familiar with the product, I'd certainly be wondering what sources within the Anime genre the book was inspired/derived from.

And no, I don't like the art-look of 3E. I can't rip on it enough, so I'm not even going to start.

Last edited:

officeronin

First Post
I buy books for the text, so, technically, it would make no difference to me. However, if it's full of poorly done art or art that's difficult for me to take seriously, that affects the text, since it's tough to take the text seriously if you can't take the art seriously.

OfficeRonin

Quinn

First Post
If the book had anime art in it, I probably wouldn't read it long enough to determine if it had anything interesting or useful to me. Actually, I probably wouldn't even look at the book too closely.

Arnwyn

First Post
I certainly wouldn't hold it against the book (as I run my FR campaign in an "anime/manga" style - all the NPCs and characters use mangaka depictions).

However, one has to know their audience and the market before putting it in, as that particular art style is not universally liked. The art style should fit the contents of the book.

(Brief aside: To those who think that anime/manga style doesn't fit the medieval fantasy genre - you're wrong. You may not like that particular art style, but to say it doesn't fit the fantasy genre is patently false. Though don't listen to Hong, since diplomacy and debating is not his forte and he usually doesn't know when to shut his pie-hole when he gets frustrated, as clearly shown from most of his unhelpful posts.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads