Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Still, it's better than no support at all for old products, which was pretty much how TSR played it for years — and fans seemed to be happy with that. I think that this new-fangled Internet has spoiled fans for old editions :D
Given the high degree of compatibility between all pre-d20 editions of D&D, I would argue that there was quite a lot of support... ;)

I'm not so sure that WotC would be keen on licensing this reprinting rights. Probably they don't want any material with the D&D name on the market except for the current edition, in order to avoid brand dilution and potentially confusing customers.
I think what the poll is discussing is a commemorative set -- not one for mass market sales. Such a product would be high-priced (and probably high-end production values), and therefore only sought out by current, in-the-know customers and fans.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I think what the poll is discussing is a commemorative set -- not one for mass market sales. Such a product would be high-priced (and probably high-end production values), and therefore only sought out by current, in-the-know customers and fans.
Yes, that's certainly what this poll is about. Yet, I think that WotC would be averse to this idea nonetheless.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

A slipcase set of the core three rulebooks from ADVANCED D&D, reproduced as their first printing copies (goldenrod end papers, striped cloth bindings, etc. etc.), as a commemorative set like the TSR 25th Anniversary set was done (5000 copies, of which I have one! :) )?

Yes, in a heartbeat would I purchase such a beast.

Also I'd (re)buy the three core rulebooks if not many copies of the PLAYERS HANDBOOK if they reprinted them to show support and hopefully encourage such further ventures.

grodog

Hero
Yeah, it was the "almost unreadable" that initially did them in as a product, I think. But. . .

A friend of mine in Topeka bought all of them. They did not stand up to regular use well (it didn't take much to crack the spine, and after you did, the pages all came undone).

James: if they didn't fall apart, and your friend still has the 21st century reprints, they'll sell pretty-well on eBay: $10-20 per book, with box sets selling for more.

Janx

Hero
Not particularly. The market for an upscale commemorative edition is going to be pretty small and I think their resources and time could be better spent elsewhere. I think the vast majority of people who want older editions for the rules to play the game they want can acquire those rules fairly easily and probably pay much less for them.

Amen.

Not to mention, when WotC took over, they found a warehouse FULL of 1e books.

They don't need to reprint what's already flooding used book stores.

darjr

I crit!
Is this the set you were talking about. It sounds very freaking cool.

Something like this would be very very cool.

If so how was "Deep Dwarven Delve Dungeon Module L3"?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
James: if they didn't fall apart, and your friend still has the 21st century reprints, they'll sell pretty-well on eBay: $10-20 per book, with box sets selling for more.

Sadly, they all fell apart. He actually tried using them as his regular reference copies for a brief while (I have no idea how he read them without going blind, but he appeared to do so with relative ease). Seems that they were designed more as novelties than books for actual use.

Last edited:

Remove ads