• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you pay to have adventures written for you?

Jack99

Adventurer
Show me any adventure any of them wrote for $1 and I'll buy it too*!
*Dungeon-a-day does not count

I do not think I can. Point is just that unless the work is truly exceptional, I would rather do it myself. And I think a lot of DM's feel the same way. It's part of the DM'ing part, one that I for one wouldn't be without.

Now, I am sure there are others out there, that wouldn't mind adventures tailored (to a certain degree anyway) to their campaign. Whether they will want to pay your fee and use your work is something only a trial run can answer (IMO), because people will have to see the quality of what you do.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Not to be rude, but your business model is completely unsustainable and will burn you out way before you see any actual profit from it.

Wait... What buisness plan? I don't recall making a buisness plan. My question is doing its job and bringing input and feedback from peers that I've grown to respect over the past couple of years.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Write stuff for yourself, release it for free online, and take advantage of anything possible to get exposure for your stuff (and yes that includes submissions on fansites, fan e-zines, etc). Eventually this will get you and your work a reputation, and either by itself or through also submitting to open calls (PF Society, RPG superstar, etc) and magazines (Kobold Quarterly, etc) you'll get some publishing credit to your name.

I have no idea how I compare to anyone else, but it took about two or three years from first posting stuff online till I managed to get something into the print Dragon and Dungeon, and since then stuff for Paizo, KQ, etc. I didn't really approach it from a goal of getting in print at first - I just put stuff out because it was fun and I needed a creative outlet while I was in grad school. But it did work.

And on a slight tangent, I'd be really curious to see what approaches various other folks took to get published, how long it took, etc - both for folks on my scale of things, and big names doing this full time professionally, etc.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
1. Why do you want to work in this field? The money sucks. The future is not bright for tabletop gaming and I'm not sure that the skills necessarily translate into other areas. You say you love gaming but how much will you love it when you (a) burn out and (b) can't pay your food and rent?

2. Why don't you want a boss? This is me with my employer hat on. If someone doesn't want a boss it is normally code for, "I don't want to be accountable". If that's the case, you've got some things to face in whatever career you choose.

3. Go with Kzach and Shemeska's advice.

4. When you read all the posts that are discouraging you from this particular course of action, realise that they are right: 100% right, in fact.

5. If you like George Thorogood I would strongly recommend listening to Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job over and over again until it sinks in.

6. No I am not being cruel to you or mocking you. You live in the USA so your options to deal with sickness and/or old age are much more limited than those of us in other countries (I hope that's not considered a political statement). You need to make the -right- career choice.

Wik

First Post
Never enter competitions and never publish for free unless there's a tie-in for a product that will sell, ie. an introductory adventure module that leads into a whole series of modules that are for sale.

Writing for free and entering competitions is for amateurs and hacks. They detract from the mindset of the professional. Does a professional lawyer give his advice away for free (disregarding pro bono work which is an entirely different beast) or enter competitions to win court cases?

Ouch ouch ouch. And also wrong.

Writing for free can hurt your mindset if you're not careful, true. But it can also expose you to new methods of writing. And yeah, that lawyer can and probably does use his skills for free, from time to time - in all sorts of informal competitions between acquaintances. Exercising your skills in your leisure time is perfectly valid, and I'd recommend it here. Compete. Just make sure you're getting feedback. It'll help you develop as a writer.

Also, yeah, it's buSIness plan. :)

Truename

First Post
Wait... What buisness plan? I don't recall making a buisness plan. My question is doing its job and bringing input and feedback from peers that I've grown to respect over the past couple of years.

Your first post described a business plan, even if it wasn't a formal write-up. ("$1 per three characters per level.") And Kzach is right, it's completely unsustainable. You'd wouldn't even make enough money to buy coffee in the morning each day.

I'm a moderately popular, published author (in my field, software development) and I have to agree with Kzach: Writers write. I disagree, though, about only writing professionally. Write everywhere. Write lots. Bring your best insights, creativity, and passion.

After a few years, you'll either have built a reputation worth money, or... not.

That's how I did it, anyway.

Sigurd

First Post
Writing for Free

If you want to write, and the alternative is not being read....

If you want to write and nobody has seen your stuff....

If your gaming hobby makes you develop stuff that is 'almost there' and you want feedback to make it better...

If you can afford to spend hours on something for no monetary reward...

Then writing for free is a good idea.

Don't:

Assume that everyone else can afford to do this.
Imagine that you have anymore copyright leeway than for profit publishers. By all means tell artists its not for profit\free (be up front about the goal - you might catch a break) but understand that they have to make a living.

Do

Treat everyone involved extra well, especially if they too are not getting paid.
Try to stick to attainable goals, especially if other people are involved. It is hard for volunteers to contribute to an idea in your head that never gets revealed. They are left thinking you don't care about their contribution because they never see it realized.

Money causes its own problems.

There are projects that would be much better off without money involved: no taxes, no issues about sharing, no hurt expectations and much less paperwork.
I'm sure there are many PDF projects especially that would feel better and be more 'successful' if they were free.

Just my .02

Sigurd

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yeah, I don't think it's sustainable.

The level of attention to detail I'd demand would be entirely unjustified by the pittance I'd be willing to pay.

Also, professional writers do enter competitions. Good ones sometimes even win.

Cheers, -- N

roguerouge

First Post
Academics write for free. Heck, they give away their copyright, which is, frankly, stupid and a hassle down the road. And, since tenure's on the way out, it's decreasingly viable as a "paying your dues" approach. Basically, it's defensive maneuvers to keep their increasingly low-paying and contingent jobs.

So, why do they do it? Because they like to. Oh, they like to bitca about it, don't get me wrong. They can't not do it. Heck, indie and experimental filmmakers actively drive themselves into debt doing it. And don't get me started on the market for poetry.

So, in short, if you can't not write adventures, then write them. Develop a list of publications and their guidelines. Submit, wait for the rejection, revise and submit it elsewhere. Wash, rinse, repeat until you earn a tiny amount of money on one project. Then redouble your efforts.

But you should not plan on a career in this narrow subsection of writing. A career in writing is a gift from the Muses.

Sigurd

First Post
I think you'd actually tire of this idea really, really fast. Its a classic mistake to try and please everyone and not yourself.

If you have a great idea, presenting it very well is a source of satisfaction. If you must disregard what interests you for two weeks so you can make $6.00 I think the idea will get sour very quickly.

Rather, simply follow your ambition\inspiration. People will follow. You have to like what you're doing because you really are not likely to make a lot of money doing it. People are down on RPG writing for a reason. It is a terrible 'industry' and certainly ranks well behind lawn mowing in average wage paid per hour - I'm not kidding. Write what pleases you and see who likes it. That way at least you have achieved your own artistic goals.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads