• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you play a game with only 1 life (ie. New Cap City)

jedavis

First Post
I actually play a number of single-player games like that (by my own choice), mainly Morrowind and NwN. If a character dies, I delete all my saves of that character and start over with a new one. It makes the victories all the sweeter, and helps reduce the 'gamist' feel. But then again, I'm not dealing with the internet crowd, and not paying a subscription.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nah. I play RPGs to have fun. I don't play RPGs to be told I can't play the RPG. In that case, I could just not play the RPG and find some other way of having fun. It's not supposed to be a simulation of real life, it's my choice of how I want to spend my limited free time - not how some GM decides I should spend my limited free time.

circadianwolf

First Post
New Cap City was just a television device (after all, how does such a game make money? why wouldn't people play the presumably myriad other games available? and I refuse to believe that in the game as depicted any more than a few people could survive for years, as several characters are presented as doing). There's also a safety valve in that you can derez (drop out of the game) at any time with no harm to your character.

Caprica was a great show, but New Cap City was just a way of making v-world more interesting on television.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would not be interested in that kind of a game.

Especially online with disconnects and server slowdowns and such. Thanks but I do not need the stress.

In RPGs I don't even like to punish players by level loss or the like when the dice go against them.

Or even when they are terminally stupid.

It is a gmae, it is supposed to be less-then-realistic.

Stalker0

Legend
Interestingly enough slashdot had an article about something very similar. The question of irreversible choices in video games.

On the one hand, we want our decisions to have meaning. On the other, we want the story to evolve the way we desire it.

Overall, I think people would hate such a game.

Krensky

First Post
Well, Uplink works sort of similarly. If you're killed or arrested you can't reload that game file.

You can still start a new game though.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think most people would be against the idea of being kicked out of D&D all together for having your character die.

"Blackleaf! No!" ;)

I think there's an appeal for a game where each character has only one life, where the player can play again, but with a different character and style (even if it's something of a clone of the last one).

But, mostly, games don't want to mirror life like that. As tools grounded in repetitive learning, games want you to re-try, until you can do it right!

D&D has a more permanent focus than most, because, even with resurrection, once character death happens, it remains happened. No rewinds, no do-overs. You can move only forward, which might lead you to be resurrected, but you will always have died.

That's still a pretty permanent consequence when compared to, say, most videogames.

Well, for the sake of the example, a few things about New Cap City need to be explained:

1. There is no latency. It's fully immersive virtual reality that has no lag.

2. There is some hacking. Some players have illegal hacks that can temporarily give their avatars superhuman speed, but they have significant neurological side effects on the player (since the game works by interfacing with the brain, it involves tampering with neurochemistry as part of the hack). It's also been shown that it's possible (albeit difficult) to appear using a copy of someone elses avatar. There is no known hack that can get a person back in to New Cap City after being killed, however.

3. There is no apparent plot or goal, it's a huge "sandbox" world where people seem to spend most of their time going to incredibly seedy nightclubs, cabarets, and dance parties (when they aren't in shootouts in the streets). [sblock]A couple of invincible teenage girls with apparently godlike powers within the virtual world, dubbed the "Avenging Angels" by the players, appears later on provides what seems to be plot to the player base, but it's definitely not a scheduled game event.[/sblock]

4. As was pointed out, if you have even a split second to do so, you can log out of the game and disappear. You die if your wounds would be instantly fatal, but if you know death is imminent you can just log out. Lots of people log out at the first sign of real trouble, like a shootout being imminent. Many players don't appear to be in New Cap City to fight, they seem to want to have a way to visit dives and "dangerous" bars and the "criminal underworld" in a virtual-reality way, and with a sense of danger but no real danger.

Now, that aside, the virtual world in Caprica has places other than New Cap City, that's just one of the more popular games.

Virtual-reality brothels, raves, gladiatorial matches and such are very popular (especially with teenagers, in the pilot we see what seems to be an incredibly depraved party filled with teenagers that goes from bloodsport to human sacrifice. . .until the big reveal that it is all in virtual reality).

Remove ads