• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would YOU play AD&D 2e?

Would you play in an AD&D 2e campaign?

• YES--If it was a good DM with a good group of players.

Votes: 200 58.5%
  • NO--It just isn't for me.

Votes: 142 41.5%

No, not a chance. I think it'd be even harder on college campuses--at least I'm old enough to really remember the older editions well.

I wouldn't play 1e either. Or BD&D either, for that matter.

Sammael

Adventurer
No. I'd much rather play OD&D or 1st edition AD&D. 2nd edition was a gigantic mess, and I can't say I ever really enjoyed it without massive amounts of house rules.

Wombat

First Post
This is a difficult one for me to answer, but in general I'd have to go with "No".

I was never very fond of D&D between OD&D and 3e -- never liked THACO, too many different character classes, each with their own odd advancement system, rigid classes (for the most part), etc. 3e I can deal with, but the earlier incarnations are rather **meh** for my tastes.

That being said, I feel the right GM coupled with the right group of players can make even a questionable system into a good game. In my oft-stated example on this topic, I am not fond of GURPS as a system, but I had a fantastic time in a GURPS Tekumel game, due to a GM who really cared about the setting and a bunch of buddies who were willing to game almost anything as a group. Nice dynamic :)

On the third hand, the example of a truly epic game leaves me immediately cold -- never have liked epic-level D&D. Too weird, too strange, too divorced from the kind of fantasy, either as gaming or literature, that I enjoy. This probably explains why I was never a big Elric fan, either ;)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
I had fun with it in the past, so with the right players and DM, sure!

However, finding the right players and DM would be the hard bit....

Pants

First Post
I might use material from 2e.... but you'd have to promise me a really, insanely good DM for me to use the actual rule-set. I'm not that deprived of gaming yet that I'd seriously consider using 2e.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Vind,

Considering that I doubt a 2nd ED game would allow me to be a sorcerer from the Scarred Lands, along with MAYBE some other neat SL stuff, no. In fact make that HELL NO! :p :)

loki44

Explorer
Absolutely...why not? With a good DM and a decent bunch of players just about anything goes. A ruleset is just a way to get PC's from point A to point B. I have my personal preferences and comfort zones but I'm not a diehard for any particular set of rules. Had a blast with Al-Qadim and some fun with Lankhmar in the past so I don't know why it couldn't happen again.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
loki44 said:
Absolutely...why not? With a good DM and a decent bunch of players just about anything goes. A ruleset is just a way to get PC's from point A to point B. I have my personal preferences and comfort zones but I'm not a diehard for any particular set of rules. Had a blast with Al-Qadim and some fun with Lankhmar in the past so I don't know why it couldn't happen again.

That's only IF you liked those settings. I liked Lankhmar...but I always felt I could have been more than just a "mere" human paladin.

ThirdWizard

First Post
A one shot? Sure, with a good DM and friends who I enjoy playing with.

A whole campaign? No freaking way. Not even with the above.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads