Would You Play In This Game?

Jake of Spades

First Post
Hey guys, I'm new to ENWorld and have been thinking for a while about creating a play-by-post thread. First off, I originally posted this is in "General RPG Discussion" before being told that I'd probably get better feedback here. So if I'm breaking any forum rules, sorry.

I've been developing a campaign in my head for a few months now, and was wondering if it would be interesting enough to start. Of course, this is all in my head, so I will be first writing as much as I can down on a blog that will be used side by side in my campaign. Basically, my campaign start is this:

The PCs start off in a not-so typical European themed fantasy realm. It is not-so typical because it is closer to reality than to fantasy. Based off of medieval England, this land is almost entirely populated by humans, although originally inhabited by Elves and Dwarves as well. The humans of this land have long believed that magic is evil, or it is simply the stuff of myths. They believe Elves, Dwarves, etc do not exist. As suggested in the "General RPG Discussion", I would definitely let the players in on the fact that magic,etc do exist from the very start, but just have them role play the surprise.

In this land, the PCs are newly-graduated students (entirely human) from a combat school, where they did NOT learn any magic. The PCs would be friends, or acquaintances at least from the start. Before heading their separate ways into the world, they decide to go to the capitol city of their country. Here, they visit my world's equivalent of a China-town, and soon find themselves facing the fact that magic DOES exist, and so do Elves, etc. They are nearly killed while in the China-like-town due to being part of an ancient prophecy, and they are soon being shipped off to my world's equivalent to Asia to accomplish their destiny.

This is kind of just the hook. I have MANY more ideas that would develop throughout the campaign, but my major concern is people not being interested due to the fact you could only be human and, at least to start, could not use magic. What do you think? Thanks!

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Actually I WON'T play in anyjust thing. I have scruples, which is why I asked first and have said nothing of a committment of any sort. There are many that will attest that I will not under any form of coertion will I play 4.e.

renau1g

First Post
Actually I WON'T play in anyjust thing. I have scruples, which is why I asked first and have said nothing of a committment of any sort. There are many that will attest that I will not under any form of coertion will I play 4.e.

Yeah, I've even tried waterboarding to get him to play 4e and no dice. Your hatred for the best version of d&d runs deep, that is good. Embrace the hate, use it, channel. ;)

Anywhoo,you'll likely find a pretty even split of 3e/PF and 4e players FWIW.

Nagol

Unimportant
I'm confused when the game will start. I see a lot of story and little for the players to do other than bask in its glory.

The PCs start off in a not-so typical European themed fantasy realm.

<lots of stuff happens to them>

They are nearly killed while in the China-like-town due to being part of an ancient prophecy, and they are soon being shipped off to my world's equivalent to Asia to accomplish their destiny.

The PCs can't decide to go to a sunny island and chill after the school? Start them at the capital or at least on the journey.

The PCs can't play tourist with the goernment buildings, art houss, and museums? They have to visit China-town? Start them there.

The PCs can't avoid the the kidnapping either through skill, luck or even dying? Start them on the boat or if they can't impact the journey through escape attempts or whatever, entering port.

If player actions can have no consequence, don't force the players to make decisions. Write up the awesome story for them to read as intro; don't force them to sit through it.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I agree that the above should not be the hook but the whole game.

And has anyone ever tried running a HB game using two different systems/groups??

Now where are my dusty 4e books?? :p

HM

Remove ads