• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Would you still play 4e?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
5E is probably about 1 year away.

But, given all the trouble around the launch of 4E, I doubt they want a repeat...and will have 4E DDI accessible for some time.

As for self-competing: They are reprinting the 1E books and, if the rumor is true, will do 3.5...I also don't think the 4e books have a self destruct feature...they will always be forced to compete with themselves, they might as well make some money from it.

Quickleaf

Legend
I don't have DDI so I'm curious what it has that makes DM prep so much easier?

I can search the Compemdium quickly for monster and magic items and then copy/paste them into Word, quick cleanup and done.

But for me it's not just the ease of searching there over my books. I don't own most of the books. I own the core three, AV1, and MV: Threats to the Nentir Vale. Without DDi I don't own the majority of 4E material.

Well I used to have DDi until October 2010 or so, and I've periodically accessed it via a friend's account since then. I have the old offline monster builder and I have all the monster books so DDi doesn't have much to offer me in the monster department. I rarely found Dragon Dungeon articles particularly helpful. So I suppose the only draw would be an updated character builder to handle all the options bloat. As a player, however, I lean toward the essentials classes and so I can get by with just physical books.

Maxboy

Explorer
My Gaming club around 20 ppl, will continue to play 4e, maybe if NEXT offers something new we can't get with the game we have now, i see no reason to stop playing 4e

Balesir

Adventurer
I can search the Compemdium quickly for monster and magic items and then copy/paste them into Word, quick cleanup and done.
The old, offilne MB lets me edit the creatures as I wish then copy to rtf, paste to Word and print onto card for use in game.

The old, offline CB (with open source edtiting extension) lets me do the same with all the character stuff, including magic items. I own all the books, so no issues there; updates are free to download.

It seems my natural penchant to buy "persistent" materials by strong preference means I'm pretty well immune to DDI shenanigans. :cool:

Well, I have a good game going. I plan to run it through as far as it will go. At the current level of progress it will take another couple years to hit level 30, if we keep going that long. DDI is NICE, but I ran D&D for 30 years without tools, it doesn't matter THAT much.

Saber6

First Post
As I have the Offline CB and Adventure tools and Masterplan, I will continue with 4e for the forseeable future. I still sub to DDI, but mostly for the articles. My library is fairly complete and I have a large stock of tiles and miniatures. Online access is the least of the issues (maintaining players is the greatest)

Raith5

Adventurer
I will be playing 4th ed for awhile yet. The campaign I play in has at least 18 months to go. I also still have a desire to DM a 4th ed campaign or mini campaign.

DDN has a long way to go to get my attention as a replacement for 4th ed.

tyrlaan

Explorer
I think the OP's question is based on a pretty grand assumption, so I wonder the merit of even having this discussion in the first place.

Anyway, my personal opinion is I can still get my CB utility through other means if WotC denies me such. Beyond that I don't really "need" the other DDI tools to run a game anyway, so if I want me some 4e, I'll have me some 4e.

Saagael

First Post
I think the OP's question is based on a pretty grand assumption, so I wonder the merit of even having this discussion in the first place.

Anyway, my personal opinion is I can still get my CB utility through other means if WotC denies me such. Beyond that I don't really "need" the other DDI tools to run a game anyway, so if I want me some 4e, I'll have me some 4e.

I agree completely. I have many of the books, and those I don't have are easily accessible in pdf format. In future campaigns I plan on running I'm already planning on using mostly custom-made magic items, and I already custom-make most of my monsters. The only thing I could possibly want DDI for is the compendium to get inspiration for my own ideas, and for the character builder.

Still, I'll manage if DDI dies. I won't be terribly happy, but I'll keep on DMing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads