• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you "subscribe" to D&D?

Asmor

First Post
Just a thought I had while lying in bed, futilely trying to go to sleep... Actually, I had thoughts on a bunch of different things that I'd like to post, but I feel like I start too many topics as it is, so I'll restrict myself to this one for now...

There tend to be 3-4 D&D books a month. If Wizards offered a subscription where every new book was delivered to your door for, let's say, 75% of the MSRP, would you subscribe?

EDIT: Changed 75% off to 75% of

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
No.

75% off, possibly, but D&D is not a large enough part of my gaming life to even consider getting a significant majority of the books.

Asmor said:
Just a thought I had while lying in bed, futilely trying to go to sleep... Actually, I had thoughts on a bunch of different things that I'd like to post, but I feel like I start too many topics as it is, so I'll restrict myself to this one for now...

There tend to be 3-4 D&D books a month. If Wizards offered a subscription where every new book was delivered to your door for, let's say, 75% of the MSRP, would you subscribe?

EDIT: Changed 75% off to 75% of

Pffft, like that? No freakin' chance.

Would I subscribe to a Digital service which provided useful, constantly updated and improved tools (and it had better be ALL the tools I need), adventure material, and so on? Maybe, if it was cheap, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Festivus

First Post
Not me.

I'd subscribe to a printed magazine, possibly DI if it was of the same caliber as Dungeon was... I am not real interested in a replacement Dragon that is online. But books, no thanks, too many possibilities for a discounted paperweight there... plus I can't afford something like that.

Asmor

First Post
I'm surprised there's no one who'd do this. I know I would if I could afford it... But I've got a horrible collector mentality.

Irda Ranger

First Post
No.

WotC wouldn't do it anyway. They know the "wait & see, pick & choose" types (like me) would never go for it, and they know the collectors will buy it all anyway.

What Ruin Explorer said about the online services though. An annual subscription for access to an always-up-to-date character generator, and all the other stuff? Cool. A good online generator would have to be customizable though, so a GM can say what is and is not allowed at his game.

Korgoth

First Post
3-4 books a month? No way. That's just hitting the reset button on rules bloat and starting over.

If I get 4E (which is predicated on it having a 1E feel), I'll get the core books and some adventures (esp. DCC type stuff). Maybe a supplement or two if there's something cool (like LoM). If it's just PokeFeats again, I'm not interested.

Anyway, if they go with a "subscription model" I think it will be tied to the DI and electronic content. Which I'm also not inclined to purchase.

Treebore

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
No.

WotC wouldn't do it anyway. They know the "wait & see, pick & choose" types (like me) would never go for it, and they know the collectors will buy it all anyway.

What Ruin Explorer said about the online services though. An annual subscription for access to an always-up-to-date character generator, and all the other stuff? Cool. A good online generator would have to be customizable though, so a GM can say what is and is not allowed at his game.

WOTC would so do it at 75% of retail. It increases their profit margin. Very significantly.

The question is would it be worth doing in terms of how many people would actually do it. Meaning subscribe.

Arkhandus

First Post
Heck no.

And I'd much rather support a Friendly Local Game Store. I'd hate to only have friends online because there's nowhere else to meet fellow gamers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads