• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you suggest the Ebberon Campaign Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightWhisper

First Post
Would you suggest the Ebberon Campaign Setting? I've read some of the coolest posts, and would think it would be nice, but is learning this new campaign seeting worth it?

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Very worth it, I'd say. I was skeptical at first, but the book is excellent, and the feel is just great. Full blown fantasy without being outrageous, it's got just the right balance. It's got well thought out places to adventure and a logical reason for lots of adventurers, and room to make your characters important to the world as you want. The semi-modern trappings aren't jarring things but just logical outcomes of standard D&D basics. I was worried about magic carpet rides to work, but instead I got buggy's that travel along a set route of magic stones around the continent. I can appreciate that. If you despise the idea of low powered magic being common, then you prolly won't like it. But if you don't mind the idea of a class of smiths who forge low powered magic items on commission then you should really check it out.

I LOVE the fantasy rennaisance/victorian clothing, my new fighter/wizard Akhiva d'Deneith wears a long leather coat with upturned collar over his chain shirt, slouch boots with metal toes and spurs, and his bastard sword at his side katana stlye :)

devoblue

First Post
For purchasing, I would recommend it. There are worse things you could spend your money on, and this is one of the better written books I have seen out of wotc.

For playing, time will tell but it certainly looks very playable and engrossing.

Gez

First Post
It depends. If you're into industrial magic, Eberron is for you.

If you prefer neometal to indus, though, you'll be better off with the Iron Kingdoms, take the Scarred Lands if you want punk-rock, and if you would rather take hip-hop, choose the Forgotten Realms.

Kai Lord

Hero
TwilightWhisper said:
Would you suggest the Ebberon Campaign Setting?
I unfortunately would not recommend it. I was one of the most enthusiastic members on this board when it first came out, but as I began to fully digest it I realized some of its central imagery was extremely distasteful to me, to the point where I'd actually be uncomfortable playing in the setting as is.

I bought it on impulse, but will be selling it to a used book store this weekend with some warnings written in a couple select margins to whoever it ends up with next.

I don't think its a good product, which is a shame, because at first and second look it appeared to have so much potential. Don't ask me what I specifically didn't like about the setting in this thread, because it'll get closed. If you want to know, feel free to email me or send me a PM.

yangnome

First Post
Kai Lord said:
I unfortunately would not recommend it. I was one of the most enthusiastic members on this board when it first came out, but as I began to fully digest it I realized some of its central imagery was extremely distasteful to me, to the point where I'd actually be uncomfortable playing in the setting as is.

I bought it on impulse, but will be selling it to a used book store this weekend with some warnings written in a couple select margins to whoever it ends up with next.

I don't think its a good product, which is a shame, because at first and second look it appeared to have so much potential. Don't ask me what I specifically didn't like about the setting in this thread, because it'll get closed. If you want to know, feel free to email me or send me a PM.
I'd be interested in hearing your comments. feel free to email me at myusername@myusername.com, substituting my username of course. thanks

Emiricol

Kai Lord said:
If you want to know, feel free to email me or send me a PM.
emiricol AT emiricol DOT com if you don't mind? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I started out in the "this will suck a lot" camp, but have softened my position lately. I still haven't plunked down my cash though - there's other things I want too.

Buy it. Buy it now.

Just a few months ago, I was convinced I wasn't going to like this setting. Having picked it up, though, I have to say this is one of the best campaign settings I've ever picked up.

Rather than go into it here, check out this thread. It's mostly an analysis of the Eberron setting's mood and inspiration, but it also, I think, covers some of the reasons I (and others) really like it.

Gez

First Post
Kai Lord said:

Anything else than the Three Dragons and their marks?

If so you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads