• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you Swap 3.5e for Exalted?

Would you swap your 3.5e core rulebooks for an EXALTED 2nd Edition core rulebook

• Yes

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • No

Votes: 230 72.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 9.8%

• Poll closed .

GammaPaladin

First Post
Asmor said:
Just out of curiosity, who needs the Player's Handbook?

It's a luxury item, by any definition.
Cars are as well. That doesn't mean it's ok to just destroy a working product when there are people who don't have them and could benefit from the use of that resource.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Cam Banks said:
Right, but "because we're talking about it" doesn't answer the question. Neither does "well, why are you?"

Cheers,
Cam

Sure it does. A topic was started about the offer, I tossed in my 2 cents, you did as well. If you think I have some deep emotional attachment to what I've been saying, than I'm not sure what answer you're looking for. "Well, why are you?" is not an answer, sure, but you didn't answer that question.

So "Why do you care?". As I said before, I already have Exalted, this offer doesn't mean anything to me, I'm offering my opinion on it's existence. I don't care about the offer any more than as a point of discussion.

So, why do you feel the need to defend WW?

Asmor

First Post
GammaPaladin said:
Cars are as well. That doesn't mean it's ok to just destroy a working product when there are people who don't have them and could benefit from the use of that resource.

Cars are not necessarily a luxury item. Living in Peabody, MA, it absolutely is for me. But in more rural places, or perhaps even suburban areas without well-developed public transportation, it's very much a necessity.

As has already been said in this thread, Wizards will destroy far more PHBs than White Wolf ever will. Heck, for that matter, White Wolf will probably end up destroying more copies of Exalted than it gives away.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Vocenoctum said:
So, why do you feel the need to defend WW?

What I'm doing is asserting that this marketing plan of theirs is not a petty, spiteful attack on our nation's precious resource of Player's Handbooks. Scott Rouse seemed to think it was, or at the very least was concerned that WW was demanding a personal sacrifice. I think that's a stretch.

Cheers,
Cam

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Cam Banks said:
What I'm doing is asserting that this marketing plan of theirs is not a petty, spiteful attack on our nation's precious resource of Player's Handbooks. Scott Rouse seemed to think it was, or at the very least was concerned that WW was demanding a personal sacrifice. I think that's a stretch.

Cheers,
Cam

Again, dude, nerd rage ;)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
LOL...the nays and ayes are so funny.

Scott...a suggestion: 400 Limited Signed (One time) Copies of 4E (main core books), from all the staff who worked on it. (if you can too, the playtesters also)

But...must be bought, at regular price.

Korgoth

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
Show me a publisher who has ever upgraded a RPG game system and not touted it has superior to the previous and I'll show you a publisher who is out of business.

Who says 4e is an "upgrade"? Upgrades are by definition superior, but not everything new is an upgrade of what it replaces.

Scott_Rouse said:
4e is better than 3.5. 3.0. 2nd, AD&D, Basic D&D, OD&D, Chainmail ... there I said it. Are the previous editions terrible? No! But the game evolves in fact it must evolve if the business of publishing it is to remain viable.

Evolution doesn't always go the right direction.

It's too bad that you think 4e is actually better than OD&D. 3.x certainly is not, and from all indications 4e will be less than 3e.

-----

The WW promotion is an interesting idea, but since it's White Wolf it's probably actually an elaborate pagan sacrifice to bolster somebody's Master's thesis in Literary Criticism. :p Now, if I could just trade in my 3.x and WW books for crisp copies of Chainmail, Blackmoor and FFC.

GammaPaladin

First Post
Asmor said:
Cars are not necessarily a luxury item. Living in Peabody, MA, it absolutely is for me. But in more rural places, or perhaps even suburban areas without well-developed public transportation, it's very much a necessity.

As has already been said in this thread, Wizards will destroy far more PHBs than White Wolf ever will. Heck, for that matter, White Wolf will probably end up destroying more copies of Exalted than it gives away.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Or, more appropriately, just because someone else does something ten times worse than what you're doing, it doesn't make something wrong that you're doing any better.

I strongly disapprove of all corporate policies that lead to that kind of waste. I do not condone or support Wizards destroying their own product, and the fact that they destroy more than WW does not change the fact that I don't approve of WW doing it either.

More to the point, if I turn my PHB in for a 2E Exalted, I'm participating in the corporate waste culture, which would be entirely contrary to my values.

Vayden

First Post
I probably wouldn't do the offer, but I might pick up Exalted at some point. As others have said, it would be purely for the fluff though.

(I find their "graduation" gimmick amusing, considering that pretty much my whole group except for one person started out with WW games and graduated to 3.5)

Remove ads