• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would You Take this Ability? (Now with a Poll!)

So, What's the Verdict?

• Nothing needs to be changed; the ability is powerful and useful as-is.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Add a low XP cost to drop the immunity for a few rounds - 50 XP/character level.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Add a high XP cost to drop the immunity for a few rounds - 200 XP/character level.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Allow the character to benefit normally from magical items.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Long concentration drops immunity - ten minutes of concentration/couple rounds' susceptibility.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • A little bit of time drops immunity - full-round action for a few rounds' vulnerability.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Something else?

Votes: 15 28.8%

Kelleris

Explorer
Okay, here's the idea I'm playing with: a higher-level ability that grants magic immunity, like that of a golem but with no exceptions. It can't be lowered, however, once accepted, and prevents you from gaining direct bonuses from magical items (no cloaks of resistance, but magic arms and armor are okay).

I should've posted a poll to begin with, but I overestimated the popularity of this ability, so I need to ask now what I should add. It looks from the responses that people won't willingly take this as-is, despite the power of magic immunity. So what would I need to add to make you find this an acceptable ability to gain?

This is a proposed class ability that essentially grants the Ex Immunity to Magic special ability of a golem, except that there would be no special cases (well, probably) like those of most golems.

This would be a high-level ability, but Magic Immunity is normally too powerful/problematic to get at any level, so I'm looking for advice on how to tweak Immunity to Magic to make it a viable (not-too-powerful, useful, interesting, not-DM-brain-splodey) high-level base class ability.

EDIT: Should've made the poll multiple-choice, maybe. If you think I should implement multiple of these, please post. :)

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you don't make the option to turn it off for a little bit, then you will end up with one party member who
1. Cannot travel with the rest of the party - they always teleport. And he's totally stuffed if the game goes planar
2. Cannot heal with the rest of the party
3. Cannot heal certain types of damage AT ALL

So - you have to make it turn-offable. In the interests of the teleport-hasty-retreat tactic, I recommend that a full-round action gets you some period whereby the protection is annulled.

Not being able to use magic items is already a huge drawback. Not being able to escape when things turn sour is condemning the guy to death basically.

It's the same problem as the forsaker - as a concept it sounds cool, but in the harsh realities of D&D, you NEED magic occasionally.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
No magic except for weapons and armor--crippling yet powerful
No magic except for weapons and armor and can lower it--very powerful

I would suggest a pure nul magic zone that could be lowered--no ecuses for weapons and armor

Seems a bit munchkiny all round. I would just use standard anti magic zone rules.

Kelleris

Explorer
Wild Gazebo said:
Seems a bit munchkiny all round. I would just use standard anti magic zone rules.

What do you mean by "standard antimagic zone rules"? I'm not entirely sure. Just that no magic item effect are allowed? The problem is that some bare-bones things are necessary, to bypass DR and such. I'm using the golem magic immunity as the basic model for this, not the spell antimagic field, with a possible fillip that worn (nonarmor) magic items don't function, since you don't really need a bonus to saves much when almost all magic slids right off you.

Saeviomagy - I think you're right that it needs to be lowerable in some way. I thought a lowish XP cost (to cover the occasional healing of ability drain and whatnot) would be okay, but you're probably right about the teleport angle. Still, if I make it a longer period to suppress the effect, that still allows travel via plane shift and teleport, just not quick getaways (which not all classes have access to anyway).

Does the mage grab the entire party in combat to escape in this way in your games? It's not something I've really had happen. A gate or portal would still work, presumably, as that's not an effect on any particular person, but a linkage between the relevant planes.

As for normal healing, I suspect that the average amount of damage you take would drop quite a bit with magic immunity, though some sparing out-of-combat healing might be necessary. Hmm...

Frukathka - There's absolutely no condition that would induce you to take this ability? That's a little surprising. Or do you simply think it's impossible to balance, even as a high-level ability?

Last edited:

Kelleris

Explorer
This is a proposed class ability that essentially grants the Ex Immunity to Magic special ability of a golem, except that there would be no special cases (well, probably) like those of most golems.

This would be a high-level ability, but Magic Immunity is normally too powerful/problematic to get at any level, so I'm looking for advice on how to tweak Immunity to Magic to make it a viable (not-too-powerful, useful, interesting, not-DM-brain-splodey) high-level base class ability.

EDIT: I added this response to the first post, to clarify. For I am deep and murky. :heh:

Last edited:

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
A proposal of the class might help a little. I'm inclined towards just using the golem stats for the power...including the healing and slowing with fire and lightning and DR penetration comparitive to HD as per a slam attack. Unless it really doesn't work with the class. More information would help.

Remove ads