• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would You Take this Deal?

Kelleris

Explorer
Okay, here's the idea I'm playing with: a higher-level ability that grants magic immunity, like that of a golem but with no exceptions. It can't be lowered, however, once accepted, and prevents you from gaining direct bonuses from magical items (no cloaks of resistance, but magic arms and armor are okay).

It looks from the responses that people won't willingly take this as-is, despite the power of magic immunity. So what would I need to make you find this an acceptable ability to gain?

Some possibilities:
  • Nothing needs to be changed; the ability is powerful and useful as-is.
  • Add the ability to drop the immunity for a short time, for a lowish XP cost - 50 XP per character level.
  • Add the ability to drop the immunity for a short time, for a highish XP cost - 200 XP per character level.
  • Allow the character to benefit normally from magically items.
  • Allow the character to take some long period to drop the magic immunity, say ten minutes of concentration for a couple of rounds' susceptibility to healing &c.
  • Add the ability to drop the immunity for a little bit of time, say a full-round action to drop the immunity for a few rounds. (Making it costly in combat, but fine outside.)
  • Something else?

Last edited:

Kelleris

Explorer
:D I think that would put it well over the top. Note that you can still benefit from magical armor and weapons, just not items like periapts of wisdom or a cloak of resistance or bracers of armor (maybe).

Kelleris

Explorer
Howsabout if the item let magical items of all sorts work normally? You just can't be magically healed or buffed.

The lack of magical healing hurts, but you'd most likely take a lot less damage - this is a pretty potent protection, after all. The possibility of uncurable permanent drain is nasty, which is why I was considering a somewhat-prohibitive XP cost to lower the resistance and recover from the occasional ability score loss.

Hammerhead

Explorer
It depends on how much said item would cost. But generally, yes! The trick is not to wear it all the time, and only use it upon dangerous magical assault.

Kelleris

Explorer
Noop, I knew I forgot something. The "item" can't be removed once accepted. On the plus side, it's free! :)

I've got a high-level ability I'm working on for a homebrew Technologist base class, and was wondering how people would feel about gaining golem-like magic immunity. Your opinions have been interesting so far...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads