• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wounded Horses... How much damage before..

Fisk

First Post
So here is the latest question

How much damage can a land based mount sustain before it can't suport its rider?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Fisk said:
How much damage can a land based mount sustain before it can't suport its rider?
A land-based mount, or any mount, can sustain [total HP] points of damage before it cannot support a rider. In other words, it can bear it's rider until it falls unconscious at -1 hp.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Yeah, any creature is assumed to be fully capable of any of its abilities until it goes unconscious.

Other systems to this differently.

shilsen

Adventurer
What the other posters said. It would be really weird if horses couldn't carry riders due to hit point loss but the rider could get off and walk, carrying all his equipment and armor, when at 1 hp himself.

Jdvn1

World Tree (which also uses d20s, but not the d20 system) has a concept called Trouble. Which I use sometimes. Basically, ill effects cause Trouble x. If something is restricting your leg or maybe you're partially bound, you might have Trouble 2. That means all of your rolls take a -2 penalty. If you're at half hit points, you have Trouble 2, if you're at a quarter then you have Trouble 5. Or something like that, I forget the exact numbers.

That's a way you can simulate being partially impaired, though.

diaglo

Adventurer
yeah, i'm not sure they are completely right.

i think it is when the bearer reaches 0 hp. ... disabled. which means you can take only 1 action... move or standard. and then after that action you take 1hp and go unconscious. or something like that...

so at 0hp the bearer must stop. bearing a load ..... med or heavy causes problems... too.

Jdvn1

Does that include armor? Medium and Heavy armor count as a medium and heavy load, respectively.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
diaglo said:
yeah, i'm not sure they are completely right.

i think it is when the bearer reaches 0 hp. ... disabled. which means you can take only 1 action... move or standard. and then after that action you take 1hp and go unconscious. or something like that...
In that round that you are disabled, you can still take a move or standard action. There is nothing in the rules that indicates there are additional penalties in that round, such as collapsing under any weight you might be bearing. Only after your turn is over do you lose 1 hp, fall to -1 and collapse unconscious.

diaglo said:

If you just move, you take no damage.

so at 0hp the bearer must stop. bearing a load ..... med or heavy causes problems... too.

Nope. At 0 hp, you act exactly as you do at 100 hp - with the above exceptions (1 action per turn, anything other than move actions* does 1 point of damage).

EDIT:

*Thanks, Shilsen. By, "moving," I meant "anything that's a move action that isn't strenuous as defined in the disabled condition," but I should have been more specific. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads