• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoW honors Gary

OchreJelly

First Post
Hey guys, I have delurked recently and thought this was worth sharing. This is going up in WoW patch 2.4 going live as we speak:

"In Memoriam: Gary Gygax

Blizzard Entertainment would like to dedicate the patch in memory of Gary Gygax. His work on D&D was an inspiration to us in many ways and helped spark our passion for creating games of our own. As avid D&D players and fellow game developers, we were all saddened by the news of his passing; we feel we've lost a true adventuring companion. Thanks for everything and farewell, Gary. You will be missed."

OchreJelly

First Post
It's the first time I've ever seen it :) Let's hope it's a good patch! For the uninitiated WoW patches aren't just bug fixes. They are laden with new content - in this case a whole new island. I'm curious to see if the honor extends in-game somehow...

Aeric

Explorer
They have gravestones and monuments to former Blizzard programmers and such in-game, so it wouldn't surprise me to see something like that in the patch. Maybe even an NPC or a quest.

Treebore

First Post
It is awesome. Plus it is "proof" that he did indeed influence digital games. Everyone behind WoW says so with that dedication.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Treebore said:
It is awesome. Plus it is "proof" that he did indeed influence digital games. Everyone behind WoW says so with that dedication.
It is a nice gesture, but it's not like any proof was needed. Without Gary there would be non WoW at all... :)

Vocenoctum

First Post
Tewligan said:
You can dedicate a software patch to someone?

You can't, we can't, but World of Warcraft... yeah, they can... :)

And yeah, they've done homage's and memorials to others before, so something in game would most likely be very well done.

Jesus_marley

First Post
they could always go the route of making an NPC with his name and likeness. (with permission of course). Hail him as The One that Was Before the Making. or some other grand illustrious title.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads