D&D 4E Writing a 4e Planescape adventure for community

Quickleaf

Legend
I was extremely pleased to see the length of this adventure, before I realised it was unfinished.

But what I see, I like. I think it's been established that I like your sensibilities.

You know, when I was looking over my notes an just started writing I thought this adventure would be around 30 pages. Now I realize that it's going to take 2 times that to do the concept justice.

Here's the basic structure I'm working from;

Part 1: Carnival of Doors: A quest scenario in Sigil with multiple leads for the players to pursue as they see fit, with foreshadowing of encounters later on in the adventure.

Part 2: Canal of Curses: A quasi dungeon-crawl/"overland travel" scenario using a canoe, curse-puzzles revealing what befell those who came before (including thief of Book of Lies) and a skill challenge with a marraenoloth.

Part 3: Niflheim: An optional freeform scenario in the Gray Waste to release a damned soul, uses skill challenge with very different strategies to achieve this goal (possibly involving negotiating with the goddess Hel).

Part 4: Mentiri: An optional 5-room dungeon to free an imprisoned paladin from the prison of Dis, it's built around a combat escalation mechanic (I.e. you want to avoid fights and end them quickly if you must).

Part 5: The Iron City: A sandboxy settig presentation of Dis and the Iron Tower, NPCs and the Book of Lies. A lot of information packed into this final chapter, meant to be unpacked by the DM according to the player's plans.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I just got an encounter mostly put together - it's a chase after a fiendish contact. Still need to actually create the map & chase tiles...but I could use some feedback on the basics if anyone feels game. B-)

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Hit a bit of writer's block today - planned to finish the above encounter and move on to the next - but it's not happening. :erm:

So instead I worked on pregen PCs for the adventure. I've attached the first two of the bunch - githzerai monk & eladrin thief - as PDFs.

Thought for the day: Making an 11th level PC that is easy(ish) and understandable for a player to run for the first time is difficult.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Update: I added several pages to the adventure as well as updated versions of 4 pre-gen PCs.

[MENTION=59411]Pour[/MENTION] How are the sketches coming? Btw, did you get any word back re. your orc shaman submission?

Quickleaf

Legend
A quick update: I've been converting some old monsters like the ghostlight and the laghathti, when I stumbled across a great 4e blog's take on the vargouille: Legend4ry D&D: Legend4ry Monsters: Re-imagining the Vargouille. Hopefully [MENTION=6684713]sorcerer blob[/MENTION] will give me permission to incorporate it into the adventure.

I don't think every encounter should be balanced, and throwing level 2 monsters like the vargouille at level 11+ PCs might seem ridiculous but with a large number of monsters the possibility of just one PC getting stunned and vargouille kissed is still a threat. And it gives the players the chance to feel like bad-asses.

Anyhow, going to do some more writing today and post latest files later. Cheers!

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I have an odd favor to ask: if anyone has Fiendish Codex II and is willing to help me with some details about Dis I would be most grateful. :)

Especially with the maps; for example I recall there was a map of the prison Mentiri, but the only image I could find of it was very small so I couldnt read the room labels.

EDIT: I'm at about 36 pages, just wrote a fun skill challenge involving negotiating with a marraenoloth, one of the fiendish boatsmen of the Styx, for safe passage.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: Make that 46 pages! I put in a bunch of work on finishing the introduction & part 1, as well as statting up several devils like the Erinyes and Kocrachon. My favorite part so far was writing up the gambling encounter with Fortunata. I'll be cleaning it up today and will post as soon as my Internet is back up (have been posting from iPhone).

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok just added the updated PDF: I've pretty much finished the Intro & Part 1, so any feedback on those is appreciated. :)

Also I've started working on treasure tables and some new minor magic items from the Planescape setting. Fans of the CRPG will also recognize some charms.

And now I'm going to ramble a bit about how I'm approaching skill challenges....

[sblock=Design Thoughts on Skill Challenges]
There are 4 skill challenges in this adventure, and I've approached each in a different manner. While they're all recognizable as skill challenges, I've taken liberties with the rules to make them work for each scenario.

Chasing Far'bulaz: This chase skill challenge is sort of a prop-based mini game which relies on moving minis on an abstract city block map in flip over tiles with signs of their quarry. An obstacle table suggests what skills you might use to evade the obstacle, and the consequences for failure. How well you succeed on a skill check determines how many tiles you can flip over, though they must be in or adjacent to your current city block. Tiles with matching hints/signs can be removed to gain a success. Also, it is measured in rounds not # of failures.

Negotiating with the Marraenoloth: Normally I don't use skill challenges for what are essentially role-playing scenarios because I find them too limiting. However, in reading the old PS entry on "marraenoloth" about % chances of betrayal, and I realized a regular skill challenge could do it very well. What I changed was ways to score automatic successes by paying the marraenoloth, making it easy to get aboard (4 successes) but harder to get the marraenoloth to guide them honestly (8 successes), and degrees of failure corresponding to increasing levels of betrayal.

Long Table of the Hungry: This one is still a work in progress, but the basic idea is there is a damned soul at the feast table of the goddess Hel and the PCs either want information or to recruit /free her. To model this I'm thinking of using degrees of success/failure for different strategies, such as negotiating with Hel, using a ghost disguise, negotiating with the damned soul, etc.

Infiltrating Mentiri: Taking cues from a skill challenge designed by Mike Mearls, this one uses alertness levels and random encounters to model the PCs infiltrating the infernal prison Mentiri. Different areas will have varying conditions on skill checks. There won't be a finite number of failures before the skill challenge ends; rather each failure leads to a random encounter, and depending on how the PCs handle the encounter, the alertness level may or may not rise. Once the alertness level is at maximum, however, things can't get much worse.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Pour

First Post
Exciting stuff, Quick. Apologies for the delayed response. Working on your thumnail illustrations as I type so you can offer feedback.

Been preoccupied with end of school year stuff. Managed to get an article pitch accepted for Dragon, and just found out my stuff was entirely cut from Kobold's Dark Road & Golden Hells lol. Mixed kind of mood, but really impressed with your work ethic and quality!

Quickleaf

Legend
Exciting stuff, Quick. Apologies for the delayed response. Working on your thumnail illustrations as I type so you can offer feedback.

Been preoccupied with end of school year stuff. Managed to get an article pitch accepted for Dragon, and just found out my stuff was entirely cut from Kobold's Dark Road & Golden Hells lol. Mixed kind of mood, but really impressed with your work ethic and quality!

Thanks Pour. I thought this adventure was going to be much shorter! Haha, shows what I know.

Sorry that your stuff got cut from DR&GH, but congrats on getting published in Dragon! :)

Quickleaf

Legend
With 1,200+ views I'm eager to get some feedback!

Is posting everything in one PDF (as opposed to in the body of the thread) deterring folks from providing their critique?

Or is it not what folks were expecting when clicking on this thread? Or is it the lurkers on ENWorld? Did I forget to shower? I am a confused panda ;)

Remove ads