• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Writing Advice! Post Yours!

takyris said:
JD -- to clarify, I wasn't saying "Don't read other stuff", or at least, I wasn't intending to do so. But your writing style is more likely to take on aspects of the fiction you're reading the most of. Make sure you keep reading that stuff.
I can see that. Then again, since I'm not a published writer by any means, I don't know that any of my advice should be taken very seriously...

orchid blossom

Explorer
Greatwyrm said:
4. Don't edit your own work. When your read your own stuff, your brain will put in things you know should be there, but you forgot to write. Others will be able to spot this better than you will.

Along with this I'd add that if you have the time, put away a piece of writing for a few weeks or even months. Let the ideas rest, let your mind go to other things, and after all that time the holes and problems will jump right out at you. Distance from the work lends a clearer eye.

Lazybones

Adventurer
orchid blossom said:
Along with this I'd add that if you have the time, put away a piece of writing for a few weeks or even months. Let the ideas rest, let your mind go to other things, and after all that time the holes and problems will jump right out at you. Distance from the work lends a clearer eye.
I'm doing that right now with a novel I wrote about five years ago, and it's completely true. Luckily there's still a lot of good there in between the tangled clauses and inappropriate vocabulary. Now, when I go back and read the stuff I wrote ten years ago, then I cringe.

But it's the only way to get better. Write write write.

takyris

First Post
Do stuff. "National Geographic" if you can't get out of the house, but if you can, at least go for walks. Look around and see what the world looks like. Listen to what people in coffee shops talk about. Have experiences.

Also, depending wholly on your style: Write fast, write hard, then go in and cut.

Last Sunday, I wrote 5,000 words in about three hours. Today, I cut 1,000 words from those 5,000, and I think that's down to a sellable level (It's a short story).

If I'd tried to just write the right 4,000 first, it'd have taken longer -- the 5,000 is all the good stuff, plus some extra "Well" and "So" and "in order to" phrases that I could cut to make the story sharper, as well as a few joke-segues that didn't cut it.

King says that the right story is the almost-right story minus ten percent. In my case, it's often closer to twenty. :)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

"Write Honestly" Advice from Stephen King from On Writing, the book he wrote on the craft. I believe what he meant by this is write what comes from you. Write in a manner that comes naturally without having to dress up your writing because you don't think it's up to par with other great writers. Don't write stories that you don't want to write because you want to earn the critics respect. Writing is very personal. The audience will notice if you write something that is impersonal and contrived.

Great advice that I found very inspiring.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads