Writing practice

ssampier

First Post
What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Sci-fi, fantasy or anything? If you don't mind mundane topics here are a few:

Describe the circumstances behind an antique desk, table, or chair.

A teenagers first crush on a boy/girl

Auntie Ethel's unique hobby or hobbies

A person's reaction to a natural disaster, train derailment, or plane crash

Rice paddy fields

Fridayknight

First Post
Phew, ive got my work cut out for me! I've realised that 1/day isn't do-able (especially as i have been reading for like 4 hours/day anyway), so im doing one every two days with excersize on the other day. This list will be quite enough for now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Whatever you do, don't rush yourself with unrealistic and arbitrary deadlines. The idea is to perfect your craft as a quality writer, not a speed writer.

Shoot for 1/week. If you think that isn't enough, do 1 new one a week and revise a previous one.

Fridayknight

First Post
That is some good advice Danny, thanks. I do really feel like I should do more, I don't want to waste all my holiday watching tv and playing on the computer. But anyways ... the advice is much appreciated (and thanks for looking in on my writing - i remember you were present in the first thread i had).

It was warm and sweaty in his hand. I wriggled as moved me through the cucumber - loving the crunch it made as the stroke finished, as soft as a paintbrush but as keen as a pen. Rapidly passing along the long vegetable with masterful precision I guided the chef, thin wafers of light green cucumber being formed by my willing. I wondered how he was going to use them but he laid me face-down on the white chopping-board before I could see where the slices went. The chef could not even realise how uncomfortable I was right then, I had been pressed into the board like a policeman pinning a rioter. And I had an itch.

In the background I could hear some shouting and my blade quivered. What could rouse in these men such a anger, I pondered. I would never feel such lust for violence as these flesh-people - our creators and our destroyers - for I am proud of my heritage as a Cutco knife.

Then, all at once, I was scooped up into a fist by the chef. It was dark and the shaking of his hand made me nervous. Through the crack between his fingers I could only watch as the chef advanced on a cowering figure. I made to scream, to move and escape, but with an air of inevitability I was transfixed in the chef's hand.

A moment came, between stillness and action, where the chef bent his hand back, muscles taut, and I viewed the victim as she raised her arm to block the blow. Snicker-snack, snicker-snack my vorpal blade drew blood from arteries, which squirted dark red over the white clothes of the chef, like rivers carving new paths after a flood. Bathed in sanguine horror I could feel my keen edge sliding through her skin, then her flesh, all the while hearing the hammering heartbeat in her.

The final plunge came, and, holding my breath, I dived into her one last time. Passing the taut tan skin, squeezing through the space between the ribs, I immersed myself in her thumping heart. So loud was the noise of shame and the gushing of her blood that I wished, from that day onwards, I had never been a knife. I should have been ... have been ... been a spoon, I cried.

OK, there you go. It isn't very good IMO but it is hard being a knife, since you cannot take any action yourself and the personification just stifles creativity.

Fridayknight

First Post
My next piece will be on the rice paddy fields suggestion. I was feeling not in the mood for an informative writing altogether so im going half description of a 'view' across the fields and half talking about the mechanics of growing in paddy fields.

The sun rose in the eastern fields. Time seemed still and the bronze glow sent scintillating colours across the rippled water near the shaduf at the edge. Yet in the middle, around me, the water mirrored the sky and the moon was still high, the reflection punctuated by the small sprouts.

The air was damp and cool, cool enough that I could make dragons from blowing. Yet it would not be long until the sun burnt away the light mist that obscured the terraced hills.The water the pooled in the mud by my feet was warm still, having been heated by the blazing sun the day before. Amongst the swirling depths, where the silt was mixed into the clear water by my movement, the red salmon swam. They hunted pests that would eat the crops and they could always be used as food, even though, at this moment, all that I could do was admire the sparkling orange scales that nimbly danced through the water, more bright than the sun if it was not for the mud obscuring them.

Paddy farming, or wet rice farming, originated in Asia and acts as starch in staple diet (although in Japan the westernisation of diet has caused a decrease in importance in urbanized areas). The word paddy comes from the Malay word padi - meaning rice plant. The rice plant is not eaten itself but the seed and the warm/wet climate of Asia is the optimal conditions for wet rice farming (dry rice farms can be found in many countries, especially in the middle-east and America).

Paddy fields are therefore often found near rivers or marshes that allow water to be diverted onto the land (and held there by raised banks around the field called bunds) by either electrical or hand pumps. The water is not used mainly for the photosynthesis of the rice plants (6CO2+6H20 -> C6H12O6 + 6O2) - as the water is on the top of the soil not in the soil by the roots - but it also drives away land-bourne pests and weeds.

Thanks for reading. Until next time, goodbye.

Remove ads