[Wulf's BARAKUS FOLLIES] LOST CITY OF BARAKUS TPK...?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
best CHARM PERSON roleplaying I've ever heard...

So one of the guys in my current game is a newbie player, from Philly, playing a stupid fighter (Dar).

They're in a fight with an Aranea sorceress who's been paid off by some drow to guard this stairway.

Halfway through the fight, she casts Charm Person on Dar.

Dar fails his Will save, so he's Charmed. I take time out of the game to explain to him what that means:

"You have to roleplay like she's your best friend. Treat her like she's one of your best pals from Philly."

Seeing that Dar is charmed, the aranea now breaks into a soliloquoy about how she'll spare the party if they pay her off-- about 1500 gp.

(A fortune for these 4th level characters...)

DAR: "Deal! Since we're such good friends and all, why dontcha loan me the 1500 and I'll getcha back later?!"

:p

I tell you, if I wasn't such a rat-bastard hard-ass, he'd have earned some XP for that snappy reply.

Wulf

tonym

First Post
Haha!

Did she accept his IOU? I doubt she did...there's no way a DM would let a player get away with something like that.

Haha, but it would've been awesome is she DID!

:)
Tony M

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
tonym said:
Haha!

Did she accept his IOU? I doubt she did...there's no way a DM would let a player get away with something like that.

No, no, after that everything pretty much went according to formula.

1. PC#2 attacks the aranea.

2. Dar puts a token arrow into party member #2 and says Stop.

3. PC#3 grapples Dar.

4. Dar and PC#3 trade turns pretending to try to pin each other while PC#2 goes about his business of trying to kill the aranea.

I've warned the players before they can't just kill everything, that there are times that parley is the wiser course, but it appears yet another lesson is in order...

... So the aranea ran down the stairs and raised the alarm-- all the drow, her pet spiders, and the hydra in the next room... where we called the session for the night.

What's that? I don't CARE if you didn't have the 1500! Parley, dammit! Make with the reciprocal soliloquizin'!

Napftor

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
What's that? I don't CARE if you didn't have the 1500! Parley, dammit! Make with the reciprocal soliloquizin'!

You can lead a horse to water...

On an unrelated note, just how far are you from Philly, Wulf?

Fenes

First Post
That's a new reply. :)

Though, I always wonder how quick some characters are to act violently. "Puts a token arrow into the character" - where is it written that a charmed person forgets his or her other friends?

I don't know about you, but I and most of my characters will not attack their other friends with lethal weapons, nor stand aside when their "new best friend" tries to kill their other friends, or even help her. Most would try to get a peaceful solution going so their friends would not fight each other.

pogre

Legend
fuindordm said:
No Kidding? That's where I grew up and went to college. It does my heart good to know that
my state has bred such a rockin' game designer.

Whereabouts?

Ben

Sorry to disappoint, but Wulf is originally from the state of Kentucky I believe. He works and lives in Rhode Island these days though - Providence I believe.

BTW judging by your DM Log that you sent me of this session and the funny bit you have shared here - this campaign demands a story hour! I know you have said no, but I am askin' for a parley ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads