• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wulf's Collected Story Hour -- FINAL UPDATE 12/25

Marauder

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

I'm rather curious - how would you see someone paralysed by a Hold spell making a Reflex ST? Would you give them a -5 for having a temporary Dex of 0, and assume that it reflects how lucky they are?

That's how I would do it. A -5 penalty on top of a PC losing their bonus for Dex makes it very difficult for them to pass a DC 20 save anyway.

By making it 'no save', you also invalidate the effects of Cloaks of Resistance. Just because you're pinned, items like this suddenly stop working? That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Simple way would be to allow a Saving Throw equal to Base Reflex Save, -5 for Dex 0, plus any modifiers from Cloaks of Resistance etc. The chances of success are small, but they're there. It's just luck, fate, or what have you.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Good work as always.

A different rule topic? Are those steel animals imune to criticals? If not, Wulf should be getting sneak attack goodness against them if they are grapling (and he isn't pined).

Ancalagon

Immort

First Post
Wait a sec here. I know that runnin' the table can be a SERIOUS grind. Runnin' a table fer a LONG time kin really beat the snot outta ya. But no epic Wulf!?!? Fer the love of god man!! Take a break, kick back fer a bit, dice jockey it up fer a few months, but don't curdle up and die on us. After a bit of rest, no strain from the table on ya, yer gunna feel just fine. Don't walk away from it all. Leave us some hope here.

-Immort

Metus

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

Not with me DMing.

Maybe Korak or Halma/Shorty will take the helm.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoaaaa. Let's not talk crazy talk here. The Wulf saga has to continue. It *needs* to continue!

Speaking of which, next update please!

blargney

First Post
Nail said:
Wanna example? If you are in your car, you do get a "save" versus a lightning bolt hitting the car and damaging you.

Actually it's more like an immunity, no save is required. Check out "Faraday cage" on Google.

An' let's be honest: Most of us are not experts on whatever part of "But It Really Works That Way!" we're arguing about.

This is a really good point. Nobody knows everything anymore.
-blarg

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Unless he's the one grappled, he has been.

Ancalagon said:
Good work as always.

A different rule topic? Are those steel animals imune to criticals? If not, Wulf should be getting sneak attack goodness against them if they are grapling (and he isn't pined).

Ancalagon

Gumby

First Post
Dinkeldog said:

Not with me DMing.

You know, any DM that can kill his players that often, and still have them coming back for more, has got to be a pretty damn good one. Give it a rest for a while, until you can come up with a good home-brewed adventure or two that uses the characters. That's what I've been doing lately, perusing the ELH and occasionally thinking to myself, "MAN, that's too good to not torture my best friends with." I've got a good plot already planned, and lots and lots of nasty things up my sleeve. Plus derring-do, high cinematics, PC rewards, and a happy ending, as long as everybody makes their fort saves.

Take a look at the ELH, and think to yourself, "Hmm. Paragon Desmodus."

C'mon, Dinkeldog. Say it with me.

"Paragon desmodus."

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Ancalagon said:
A different rule topic? Are those steel animals imune to criticals? If not, Wulf should be getting sneak attack goodness against them if they are grapling (and he isn't pinned).

You don't lose your DEX bonus to creatures you are grappling with. You DO lose your DEX bonus to creatures outside your grapple. (Unless you take -20 penalty to your grapple roll, which dinkeldog always forgets to do. :) )

I am always very happy when the steel preds grapple someone next to me, cause then I can really F' em up. (No, they are not immune to crits-- at least not so far they haven't been...)

By the way, I don't really have any interest in epic either, to be honest. I hear Goat Boy calling...

Wulf

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads