X Crawl games

Shadowdancer

First Post
Painfully said:
I think it would work as a good one-shot, but for a campaign it would get old quickly. It throws out a lot of the plot and just boils it down to, "go from point A to point B" or, "defeat X."

You hardly need to buy another book if that's what you want. This book actually offers much less, than say, d20 modern, or spycraft IMO.

Calling it X-crawl just gives them an excuse to no longer make up some story to go along with the goals. They can call it, "an extreme competition," and just leave it at that. But if you wanna spend more money, go right ahead.

I disagree. Granted, the rules for playing in a modern world are not as complete as d20 Modern or Spycraft, but they aren't meant to be. This is a specialized setting, and it provides the rules necessary to run a campaign in that setting.

There is more to X-Crawl than just running through the dungeons, or as you put it, "go from point A to point B" or "defeat X." (All RPGs can be boiled down to that simplistic interpretation, BTW.) It is meant as a whole campaign setting -- what do the X-Crawl competitors do outside the dungeon? They get endorsement deals, make public appearances, do interviews, etc. They practice. They live a life as high-profile entertainers/sports stars. Just as in D&D, the characters have a life outside the dungeon or between adventures. Same thing in X-Crawl.

There are even adventure possiblities that don't involve competing in the dungeons. You can go on hunts to secure monsters for the dungeons. Or, as in the post which started the thread, maybe the contest is rigged, or the promoter backs out on the players and steals their money. There are plenty of role-playing options for X-Crawl, just as there are for any RPG -- it's up to the players and the DM to find them.

I'm planning on using X-Crawl to represent a planet in the T20 campaign I'm working on. The PCs would visit the planet, and watch a competition. Maybe get involved in some behind-the-scenes intrigue. Or maybe they might want to participate in a dungeon to earn some money, or be forced to participate by a sadistic planetary monarch. Those who play Dragonstar could do something similar.

bolen

First Post
you are certainly right there is nothing in that book which would lead it's self to a deep story. but it can be fun hack and slash with lots of funny stuff. Come on how often can you

"kill the orcs to win a 4 day deluxe vacation package worth over $2000. Or a nice parting gift of a years supply of pampers to our loosers family. (we would give it to the looser himself but. . . . well . . . he is now in Bobby the half orc's stomach)."

But look at pandahead's website. There are only about 30 or so crunchy pages in the book. I dont know how well it would go with a Hard edge game like T20 but it is certainly in keeping with Dragonstar. But I don't know how much the book has that would help you other then the basic idea. It is more a setting then a rule book.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Anybody read Heroes Die by Mathew Stover? Stunning book with esentially the same concept. Really involved, like Stargate it seems to be a gamers dream setting.

Graf

Explorer
bolen said:
I'll try once more to fish for ideas.

It sounds like you're running a great game. A number of other people have enthused about X-Crawl before now. I'm sure they have ideas to contribute....

I like the 'choices you made and wish you didn't' aspect of your game. In other words your characters probably chose to take part in X-Crawl, now they're stuck in a situation, fighting in the public, but in a very different way.
Honestly I think the good way to take it would be to develope the prision angle.... somewhat like Shawshank redemption where you have groups of convincts, some nicer than the others. An evil warden who wants to use his "free fighters" to make a quick buck.
Remember the Warden in shawshank accepting bribes in exchange for not competeing on certain products (the same sort of thing might happen with news executives).

You might have a few games with the prision then they sign a deal with a media company. The company comes in and things start to look up but then they go sour (the warden just wanted to make a buck the media people want to make a sensational splash with a TPK).

It might be fun to start working D&D terminology into the game itself.... with TPK, etc. being used by announcers.

Just my two,
Graf

Bagpuss

Legend
Shadowdancer said:

It is meant as a whole campaign setting -- what do the X-Crawl competitors do outside the dungeon? They get endorsement deals, make public appearances, do interviews, etc. They practice. They live a life as high-profile entertainers/sports stars. Just as in D&D, the characters have a life outside the dungeon or between adventures. Same thing in X-Crawl.

There are even adventure possiblities that don't involve competing in the dungeons. You can go on hunts to secure monsters for the dungeons. Or, as in the post which started the thread, maybe the contest is rigged, or the promoter backs out on the players and steals their money. There are plenty of role-playing options for X-Crawl, just as there are for any RPG -- it's up to the players and the DM to find them.

Bit like how WW Streetfighter RPG, expanded stuff outside of the video game and tournament fights to make a campaign setting in which adventure was possible. (Still think Streetfighter was one of WW better RPGs).

Actually it sounds a lot like the Dreampark RPG, R.Talsorian did based on the books by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes.

Dream Park
The California Voodoo Game
and The Barsoom Project

would make good reading for any DM thinking of using X-Crawl.

Last edited:

You could make the world a cross between Judge Dredd / Shadowrun. Have many places in the world where it is too dangerous to live due to monsters or untamed magic. The PC's could be sent to this "prison with no walls", turning it into a survival game.

Ooh. Survivor...EXTREME!!!

Remove ads