• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X

is larping geekier than plating fantasy games on tabletop?

• i larp, and love it. you should try it.

Votes: 19 10.9%
  • i larp, but only admit it here because voting is secret.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • i don't larp, but would given the right chance.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • larpers are way geekier than me. i am the fonz comparitavely and eserve the right to mock them.

Votes: 115 66.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Gives thumbs up like the Fonz.

"Hey..."

Adjusts his black leather jacket.

I voted #4. Although everyone knows that no one is geekier than the die-hard Ripperologist!

mistergone

First Post
Faerie: The Prancing

I'm going to make a LARP, and it will be the best LARP of all time. It'll be called "Faerie: The Prancing" The concept is totally sweet. You are a faerie, an ancient immortal being from myth and legend of unspeakble power. You can use magic and have awesome powers, but you must remain secret about all of them, or else the evil agents of modern society will come down on you hard. You look human on the outside, but really, when in the "real" form, faries are way cooler than humans and have pointed ears, but you can retract your ears so as to blend in with humans, whom you call "Mundanes" or "Norms" because they are so less cool than you are. The cool part is, since it's set in the modern day, you can dress like you would now, but everyone knows that Faeries are way cooler then humans, so you wear a lot of black and leather, and usually capes, because Faeries must be sneaky sometimes and dressing like this draws attention away from themselves, especially at night, when Faeries are most active, because most foolish humans sleep at night. Suckers. However, and this is probably the most cool, when you use your Faerie powers, you wear a Soulfocusglamring, which is a brightly colored frilly belt that is made of ephemeral light materials and sticks out in a ring around you, like a mystic halo at waist height. You wear these during the game to show that you are using your power! The more powerful of a Faerie you are, the bigger and brighter the Soulfocusglamring you can wear! To enact the use of Faerie power, you engage in what is know as "The Prance", where you skip and leap through the air and wave your arms like a magical bird or enchanted butterfly! The more powerful your magic, the more complex the Prance will be. You gather with your friends and form "circuses" of Faeries, which are small groups formed for protection against the Agents of Society. Everyone who plays is a part of the bigger "Carnival" of Faeries and sometime you gather to see who can Prance the best and therefore lead the Faeries. Amongst Faeries, culture is very ancient and complex, and a large part of the game is spent discussing cool things about Faeries and talking about how you are the coolest Faerie out of all the other Faeries. Just rmember Rule #1: No touching! Faeries don't like to be touched...

Now, if I could only find a game company to buy my idea and help me produce the rulebooks.

RSKennan

Explorer
Thanks for the mockery mistergone...

Does anyone really think that sitting around a table in a room talking about elves and +5 vorpal swords makes someone cooler than actually socializing (with real, and often very attractive members of the opposite sex) or getting actual excercise? Food for thought.

I really think that part of the problem with the image of larps, is that they are often so low budget that to people on the outside, it seems rather dumb. The poll has shown that a lot of people would play given the right opportunity, which I presume to mean a well-done game with great special effects and makeup, making the experience more like an interactive theme park than "Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!" with a bunch of so-called "dweebs" running around in the driveway. I think the goal of the best LARPs is to eventually have the wow-factor of at least an episode of Hercules or Xena, except where you are the star, and the plot hinges on your taking down the bad guys by your own wit and your own strength.

For the record, I have met not less than two girlfriends at larps, and was in the best physical condition of my life when I played them.

BTW those kids were obviously having fun, and who are we to judge how they do that?

alsih2o

First Post
i think some fols are being way uncool about the fun here.

i can take the blame for starting what i thought would be a fun thread, that has disentigrated, if a mod would lock it before it gets real nasty i would appreciate :)

RSKennan

Explorer
Before this gets locked, I'd like to go on record as apologizing if my comment came across as harsh. I was only mildly offended. I'm over it. :)

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
"Us" versus "them." To quote Chicago, it's a hard habit to break. :D

I'll close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads