X5: To the Temple of Death - IC

Rhun

First Post
"Well done, friends. A victory worthy of song, indeed." Aram is in good spirits, the long road that he had set out on many weeks before finally seeming to be at its end. He smiles. "Do we know anything about sailing an airship?"

Dragonwriter

First Post
"Oh, yes, of course we'll pick up Ripclaw before we leave this gods-forsaken land. But, uh... this airship? No, haven't the foggiest of how to work it. I was thinking we would use the carpet. It might be a good idea to burn the airship before we leave it, though. Assuming this thing isn't enchanted to withstand fire."

kinem

Adventurer
Father Fuller uses some more of his spells to help heal the party.

Unable to coax a response from the airship, the party disables it, destroying the rigging. It proves to be somewhat fire-resistant but not altogether fire proof.

After picking up Ripclaw, the group begins the journey to Darokin. With the flying carpet, this trip proves to be much easier and quicker than the overland trek to the Temple had been. The group still lands for rest and to feed Ripclaw, but the trip is largely uneventful. Even so, it takes several days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The outnumbered defenders of Darokin had been forced to fall back, as the armies of the Master converged towards Darokin City.

The war appeared lost, until the timely arrival of a force of elven warmages from Alfheim - powerful allies but not always reliable or trusted as they have their own agenda - helped stay the nomads' advance.

Even so, there are several viable routes towards the city, and the Master's forces began to advance again.

The flying carpet had been sighted on its way to the city. After a tense encounter with the outer defenders which nearly ended in disaster, the small group is taken to the generals' camp.

With the new intelligence, an ambush is planned, and word of the Master's demise cheers the troops.

The final battle is hard and bloody, and many are lost on both sides, but in the end the enemy forces - now lacking effective leadership, and composed of disparate forces of orcs, men, and monsters who can barely work together under the best of circumstances - are routed.

When the victory is celebrated, Aram, Girgal, Jex, and Fuller are honored as heroes of Darokin.

Each of them goes on to lead a long and adventurous life, righting many wrongs and gaining much fame along the way.

Meanwhile, the nation of Darokin knows peace for many years.

The desert nomads go back to their old ways of tribal infighting.

The nation of Hule remains largely isolated from the outside world for many years to come.

HERE ENDS X5: TEMPLE OF DEATH

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Epilogue

Hosadus feels like he is drifting in the middle of nothingness. He can't see anything. Slowly, he begins to hear something. A voice. He is afraid, because he knows whose voice it is - that of his patron, Orcus!

You have failed. But you have been loyal, and your people still revere you. You may still be of use to me. I am giving you one last chance. This time, do not move until you are sure you are ready. Gain more power and gather many powerful allies and vaster armies. I will tell you how to unlock the true power of Thanatos. This time, you must conquer the world, for the Sphere of Entropy is hungry!

ooc: The Second War of the Master is featured in Module X10: Red Arrow, Black Shield

Rhun

First Post
OOC: Great game, Kinem...thanks! I can't believe we actually made it from beginning to the end of not one but two modules!

Remove ads