D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide #1 non-fiction bestseller this week

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There is a direct correlation, particularly in something like the tabletop hobby, between what sells and what we see more of. Book I like sells well, odds are I will get more of what I like. If a book I like doesn't sell well, likely not to see more of it.

No, it’s not an economic analysis of the likelihood of more of your fandom being made. Your fandom will continue to be made if its profitable for somebody to make it. The underlying connotation is always about one’s fandom “beating” someone else’s.

See IPhone vs Android; DC vs Marvel; D&D vs ... eh, all other games. There is no danger that any of these things will stop being made.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, it’s not an economic analysis of the likelihood of more of your fandom being made. Your fandom will continue to be made if its profitable for somebody to make it. The underlying connotation is always about one’s fandom “beating” someone else’s.

See IPhone vs Android; DC vs Marvel; D&D vs ... eh, all other games. There is no danger that any of these things will stop being made.
Tell that to folks who loved 4E. For me it isn't about "beating" other RPGs, but about seeing more of 5E as done.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tell that to folks who loved 4E.

By that logic only one product in any category will ever exist. Of course every product doesn’t need to be the market leader to continue production. They still make Lamborghinis and and B-movies and *I* still make stuff. There are authors who aren’t JK Rowling.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
By that logic only one product in any category will ever exist. Of course every product doesn’t need to be the market leader to continue production. They still make Lamborghinis and and B-movies and *I* still make stuff. There are authors who aren’t JK Rowling.
Um, sure, so what? Doesn't mean that WotC won't be inclined to make more of what sells well, which happily in this case, is what I like.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Um, sure, so what? Doesn't mean that WotC won't be inclined to make more of what sells well, which happily in this case, is what I like.

“Um, sure, so what?“

Could you be more condescending?

Obviously all these things sell well. Equally obviously, that wasn’t the point.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I like an occasional MacDonalds, but I don’t care how many Big Macs they sold this month!
It was more fun to watch their tallies when (a) I was a kid; and (b) they updated the count every few months.

A sign that says "Billions and Billions Served" for 25 years just isn't as catchy as "95 Billion Served" with a slowly-rolling counter in the number spot.

In the style of the 1976 Olympics (Nadia Comenici), a local McDonalds rolled over their counter to read "00 Billions Served". My family decided to eat there that weekend.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I kinda suspected it was sold out when amazon put a Not-Available on it the first day it was meant to be sold. Have my copy already though... Next time I'll preorder for sure. Still a steal thanks to black Friday discount.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
“Um, sure, so what?“

Could you be more condescending?

Obviously all these things sell well. Equally obviously, that wasn’t the point.
Oh, man, my powers of condescension know no bounds: I do what I can to keep them in check, but I do slip up on occasion.

The point is I am happy to see it is unlikely a new direction will be taken in a product line whose direction I like. It doesn't have to beat anything, but that it continues to be a successful path for WotC means that they will likely keep it going. That's what I get out of it, similar to how I am happy when movies I enjoy do well financially, because yes, that really does causally lead to more of the same: success begets imitation.

Remove ads