• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Common Magic Items

gyor

Legend
[video=youtube_share;3lWGCZmaCRo]https://youtu.be/3lWGCZmaCRo[/video]

OMG, I had heard their were a ton of new magic items, but I didn't realize they we're mostly useless, BY INTENDED DESIGN!!!

Its not hard to figure out why, they didn't have time to playtest useful items, needed more filler, so this is what happened. Cloak of Billowing (yes a cloak that magically billows), a Staff of Bird Calls, the Wand of Scowling, Wand of Smiles, Clockwork Locket (this one has some minor uses).

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I think this might be my favourite part of Xanathar's. A cloak that billows on command? I can think of at least half a dozen players who would love that.

Glad to hear the examples of the kinds of things they were thinking of. Seems like great information for campaigns/settings that want to feature widespread magic without really affecting the power level.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm assuming these are the COMMON level magic items, which are therefore less powerful then the UNCOMMON items in the DMG? Seems right - all the various magical doodads people might want, not just adventurers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting quick thought: these ~10 pages of items are an interesting turning point in 5E, as it seems Chris Perkins made all of them up, rather than drawing from older edition precedent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads