D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything -- new mechanical expansion/UA book! -- November 10 with a limited-edition cover by Hydro74

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yep. And guess what? There is nowhere near enough different stuff to warrant spending 2 years designing, developing, writing, drawing, cartographying, editing, and printing a new 256 page campaign setting "tome" for each of the other settings. I know you don't want to believe that-- or perhaps you believe they should be made anyway because you don't want to have to be bothered with doing it yourself... but it ain't happening. Not for 5E. Complain all you want about it, but it is what it is. Sorry, end of story.

But is there enough stuff to warrant putting 5 or more worlds into one book?

I think we could justify that, and it would be really helpful to new players to have a book hit the shelves that basically said " Those other settings you keep hearing about but have no idea what they are, here's a quick overview of each of them and a few of the special rules you might need."

I would have a hard time buying a single setting tome, I don't use anything except my own homebrew world, but a book like that I would snap up

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I'm running an Eberron campaign from a mix of 3.5 and 4e books right now, and it's one of the best campaigns I've been involved in in years. The only challenge is converting mechanical options with no existing 5e equivalent, but even that has gone very smoothly so far.

Mixing 3 different editions into one campaign certainly does sound like it is the easiest and best way to run a campaign.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Mixing 3 different editions into one campaign certainly does sound like it is the easiest and best way to run a campaign.

Ignoring the substance of posts and responding with derision and sarcasm certainly does sound like the easiest and best way to have an intelligent and productive discussion.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Ignoring the substance of posts and responding with derision and sarcasm certainly does sound like the easiest and best way to have an intelligent and productive discussion.

Sure, if the question is "Can you do it". But that is not the question because of course you can do it, duh. The question is, is it the easiest way to do it or even the best way to do it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

The Setting hasn't changed. The fact that the books are from 2 different editions is literally irrelevant. If I had players that liked elves and dwarves and humans, I wouldn't even need to convert any mechanics. But I have to do so regardless of setting, because we all have oddball taste in characters.

But that isn't a thing hat is caused by using old edition books for the setting. We don't need a 5e campaign book, we literally only need 5e mechanics for the mechanical options of the setting. A chapter of a book, at *most*.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

I actually want to do this. I think it would be fun to run a mini campaign starting with the Rules Cyclopedia then move into 2e, 3e, 4e, and finally 5e with a couple of adventures in each edition. It would show newer players the older editions that they never got to try and it would (hopefully) be fun converting characters into each new edition.

Remove ads