• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Spells

gyor

Legend
Omfg, Mighty Fortress, Temple, Magical Grove, Improved Find Steed, Create Humunculus, and so many other cool spells.

Even the ones reprinted from EEPC have an expanded list of classes that can access them.

Still some subclasses will feel ripped, no Improved Steed for Oath of the Crown Paladins, no Dance Macbre for, Undying Warlocks, No Temple for Arcana Clerics.

Also Wish got way more powerful, you'll be able to create Wizardly Fortresses, Holy Temples, and beautiful groves.

I think even with limited spell choices Temple will be a must have for Divine Souls.

There are spells specificly for Gishes, like Shadow Blade.

Infernal Calling is somewhat safe, but demon summoning is dangerous to everyone except the caster potentially, who is protected by the spell.

gyor

Legend
Also Mighty Fortress, Temple of the Gods and Druid Grove have special magical defences. I suspect the layout will be somewhat customizable.

He didn't mention Tiny Servant, but I suspect that tiny servant is similar to find familiar and create humuculus, but between Find Familiar and Create Humuculus in power.

I've heard it said that Find Familiar and Find Steed are class features in the form of spells, but that is basically true of Improved Find Steed, probably Tiny Servant, Create Homunulus, Mighty Fortress, Temple of the Gods, and Druid Grove, maybe a few others.

Last edited:

Mephista

Adventurer
I'm kind of curious to see what spells we're going to be getting for gishes. The Eldritch Knight and Bladelock might be getting some good support for once.

gyor

Legend
I'm kind of curious to see what spells we're going to be getting for gishes. The Eldritch Knight and Bladelock might be getting some good support for once.

Well Shadow Blade for one, Zephry strike was mentioned, but I think that one is specific to Rangers.

Mephista

Adventurer
Well, rangers do need some love - their bow spells, with the exception of Swift Quiver, are terrible. But we shall see what comes up. Non-paladin / non-clerics need some love.

Ketser

First Post
Even the ones reprinted from EEPC have an expanded list of classes that can access them.

Even better news was that some of them got enhanced or revised. So hopefully a lot of them are a lot more usable than before.

Still some subclasses will feel ripped, no Improved Steed for Oath of the Crown Paladins, no Dance Macbre for, Undying Warlocks, No Temple for Arcana Clerics.

Only really affects Al games and games with DM's that have a "One extra book only rule." Most home games will be fine.

pukunui

Legend
I strongly dislike the ceremony spell. I think its effects should have been modeled as non-spell magical ritual effects.

pukunui

Legend
Yes. They could have expanded the Sacred Rites downtime activity, for instance. Not all magical effects need to be via spells. Unfortunately, in this case I've got the weight of tradition going against me, since ceremony dates back to 1e or thereabouts.

Remove ads