Xanathars guide

xxluzdarkxx

First Post
My character just recently died in a battle vs a beholder. I'm fine with it. It's expected. Rolling a new character to me is always fun, but my DM tells me I can't use xanathars guide because he doesn't have it when four other players at the table do have it. Just wanting to see what others think on this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hawkeyefan

Legend
Did he tell you why? If your group has access to the book, can’t you go over the options you want to use and see if they’d be suitable for play?

S

Sunseeker

He is likely simply unfamiliar with the material. Was your previous character build with Xanathars material? Is anyone else's?

If he let you before and is letting everyone else, I find the decision odd to say the least. If he didn't allow anyone to do it and still isn't, then all he's doing is being consistent.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If four people have it, and the players want to use it, he should probably get the book and allow it. It's one thing if just one guy has a new book, but if almost all your players have it, time to accept it's part of the enjoyment of the game for your players and get on board.

xxluzdarkxx

First Post
He is likely simply unfamiliar with the material. Was your previous character build with Xanathars material? Is anyone else's?

If he let you before and is letting everyone else, I find the decision odd to say the least. If he didn't allow anyone to do it and still isn't, then all he's doing is being consistent.
I would be the first to have a xanathars character in our campaign since we started it last year lol.

S

Sunseeker

I would be the first to have a xanathars character in our campaign since we started it last year lol.

Then it sounds like he's just enforcing the same rules as he did for everyone else and sounds like a reasonable ruling.

xxluzdarkxx

First Post
Did he tell you why? If your group has access to the book, can’t you go over the options you want to use and see if they’d be suitable for play?
His argument towards it was that he didn't have the book so therefore couldn't learn how to have an edge as a dm against the players, but we are always opening our phb or dm guide all the time to look up rulings all the time. I can understand his argument, but at the same time if I paid money for this book I want to use it.

xxluzdarkxx

First Post
Then it sounds like he's just enforcing the same rules as he did for everyone else and sounds like a reasonable ruling.
If everyone's characters were to die he still wouldn't let use the xanathars guide. ( I've asked this to him) because he doesn't have the book.

S

Sunseeker

If everyone's characters were to die he still wouldn't let use the xanathars guide. ( I've asked this to him) because he doesn't have the book.

This is not an unreasonable stance.

Remove ads