D&D 5E Xanathar's "War Magic" too strong for multiclassing?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Read the post SkidAce made which I was replying to and which you quoted. Explain how it's a strawman...he just made that argument.

No he did not. No one made the argument you were trying to beat down. Isn’t that what a straw man is? When you beat down an argument literally no one made?

gyor

Legend
Yeah, this is kinda why I was a little annoyed that Warcaster wound up in XGtE, instead of Theurg or something else. It's a recolor Lore Wizard, granted a lot less broken, but still really powerful.

Just to be clear I'm still pretty nobody when it comes to making Subclasses, but my understanding of the system for Wizard entrances is b. Prof or cheaper spells and a thematic ability. Deflection is pretty obviously the theme, but Int initiative seems a bit powerful for filling the other slot. Personally I would have gone armor proficiency, cause you would expect to see them on front lines, but I'm not a dev, so.

I would just like to say I only have access to XGtE via DDB sharing, and have not thoroughly read Earcaster, so I may bot be the finest judge for that.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Theuege was even more broken then Lore Master, although even I didn't realize it at first, but if the Theurge picked the life domain and then made Cure Wounds it's signature spell, it allowed the Wizard to have infinite healing spells, totally breaks the game.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Theuege was even more broken then Lore Master, although even I didn't realize it at first, but if the Theurge picked the life domain and then made Cure Wounds it's signature spell, it allowed the Wizard to have infinite healing spells, totally breaks the game.
Interesting, though by 17th level (signature spell) 2nd level cure wounds is almost a parlor trick.

Heck a life cleric 1/druid x can do nearly the same or better after third, fourth level or so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Yeah, this is kinda why I was a little annoyed that Warcaster wound up in XGtE, instead of Theurg or something else. It's a recolor Lore Wizard, granted a lot less broken, but still really powerful.

Just to be clear I'm still pretty nobody when it comes to making Subclasses, but my understanding of the system for Wizard entrances is b. Prof or cheaper spells and a thematic ability. Deflection is pretty obviously the theme, but Int initiative seems a bit powerful for filling the other slot. Personally I would have gone armor proficiency, cause you would expect to see them on front lines, but I'm not a dev, so.

I would just like to say I only have access to XGtE via DDB sharing, and have not thoroughly read Earcaster, so I may bot be the finest judge for that.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

I think the warcaster is fine. The ability is less powerful than shield of the abjurer. Better initiative is less powerful than the evoker's sculpt spell. Late abilities also have big thematic overlap with either abjurer or evoker.

So the question is: full offensive or defensive or something in between. Makes a pretty good multiclass for the eldritch knight.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No he did not. No one made the argument you were trying to beat down. Isn’t that what a straw man is? When you beat down an argument literally no one made?

No really, he did. He's not disagreeing either. If you are not seeing it, go back and read it again. He literally said ."..or is it?" and said it was, "normal as in play habits". It's not a straw man, some people are in fact saying that or at least speculating it might be the case. Definitely not a strawman. I mean, you are free to disagree, but you're not speaking for everyone in the thread, and some do in fact appear to be making that argument.

FrogReaver

No really, he did. He's not disagreeing either. If you are not seeing it, go back and read it again. He literally said ."..or is it?" and said it was, "normal as in play habits". It's not a straw man, some people are in fact saying that or at least speculating it might be the case. Definitely not a strawman. I mean, you are free to disagree, but you're not speaking for everyone in the thread, and some do in fact appear to be making that argument.

LOL. At least you have a sense of humor. Asserting that SkidAce is "not disagreeing" when he hasn't posted another word in this thread is comedy gold!

Ever stop to think it was your over the top hyperbole that caused the strawman? Whatever he said and whatever your hyperbole claimed he said were way too far apart. I would take the time to detail that for you but you are just going to disagree. So how about we cut our losses?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
LOL. At least you have a sense of humor. Asserting that SkidAce is "not disagreeing" when he hasn't posted another word in this thread is comedy gold!

Ever stop to think it was your over the top hyperbole that caused the strawman? Whatever he said and whatever your hyperbole claimed he said were way too far apart. I would take the time to detail that for you but you are just going to disagree. So how about we cut our losses?

He explicitly agreed with my characterization. You're on another world in claiming otherwise (though from your "whatever he said" I suspect you didn't even bother to read what he wrote to begin with). You lost this one Frog. You're basically claiming the sky is green and, once it's pointed out it's blue, saying how about we cut our losses. Sure Frog, you go right ahead, walk away claiming the sky is green. I'm fine with that. My point remains - some people have an adventuring day which lasts 30 seconds (one combat) and then take another long rest before other combats. If you don't that's fine. But apparently some people do. And I was saying that's not the norm. And if it's not the norm at your table, then you're proving my point further. Though your table apparently isn't TOO far from that as you said, "1. The campaigns I've been playing in recently usually have 1-2 combats per day." So you have had 1 combats per day, though I guess you were trying to say you did other non-combat stuff that day. Not sure how that makes a material difference to this discussion. One combat per day is not the norm. You're the one who said you had one combats per day. Are you trying to assert that is the norm? What is it you even think is a strawman here?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

He explicitly agreed with my characterization. You're on another world in claiming otherwise (though from your "whatever he said" I suspect you didn't even bother to read what he wrote to begin with). You lost this one Frog. You're basically claiming the sky is green and, once it's pointed out it's blue, saying how about we cut our losses. Sure Frog, you go right ahead, walk away claiming the sky is green. I'm fine with that. My point remains - some people have an adventuring day which lasts 30 seconds (one combat) and then take another long rest before other combats. If you don't that's fine. But apparently some people do. And I was saying that's not the norm. And if it's not the norm at your table, then you're proving my point further. Though your table apparently isn't TOO far from that as you said, "1. The campaigns I've been playing in recently usually have 1-2 combats per day." So you have had 1 combats per day, though I guess you were trying to say you did other non-combat stuff that day. Not sure how that makes a material difference to this discussion. One combat per day is not the norm. You're the one who said you had one combats per day. Are you trying to assert that is the norm? What is it you even think is a strawman here?

Or we can take this back and forth to 10-20 more posts. I'm willing to bet my stubbornness prevails over yours and you will be the one walking away. Can I disparage you with insults For offering to do so as you are me now?

Remove ads