• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xmas gift help

Ho, ho, ho! Merry Xmas!!!!! (well, it IS coming up...)

My gaming group usually exchanges gifts when we get together during the holidays for a 2 day gaming blow out. Money is tighter than usual this year, so I've been trying to get a head start on the planning stage. Last year I got monogrammed dice bags from the Gamer's Bag and they were a big hit. This year I'm drawing a blank, so I thought I get some ideas from the community here.

So what are you getting for the gamers in your life? Any brainstorming would be appreciated, and I imagine that there are some other folks out there with the same situation. So far, I'll I've come up with are sets of "Pirates of the Spanish Main" and organizing a tournement with the winner getting a book or a fancy set of dice. What do you think? How many sets of "Pirates" does each player need to actually play the game?

Ok, I'm sense that I'm rambling. I'll stop now, and post more ideas if I have them.

Christoph

Crothian said:
Wow, you're in Westerville!! I'm in Westerville, didn't know there were others from this town on the boards. :lol:

Yep! Just moved here a couple of months ago, actually. Say, is there anywhere else in town to buy D&D stuff besides Comic Town? They have a nice store, just not much selection. I usually go the Guardtower or the Soldiery, but if I could find somewhere closer that would be great.

Christoph

Crothian

First Post
Christoph the Magus said:
Yep! Just moved here a couple of months ago, actually. Say, is there anywhere else in town to buy D&D stuff besides Comic Town? They have a nice store, just not much selection. I usually go the Guardtower or the Soldiery, but if I could find somewhere closer that would be great.

Christoph

There is Ravenstone Games off of Karl road south of 161. It has an okay selection but frankly the customer service I and my friends have found really poor.

Comic Town is a good place becasue of the customer service and they have always been more then willing to order anything.

There's another store called the Aromery out in Pickerington off of route 256 (hill road), but its a bit of a drive from up here.

Stormborn

Explorer
Christoph the Magus said:
Ho, ho, ho! Merry Xmas!!!!! (well, it IS coming up...)

My gaming group usually exchanges gifts when we get together during the holidays for a 2 day gaming blow out. Money is tighter than usual this year, so I've been trying to get a head start on the planning stage. Last year I got monogrammed dice bags from the Gamer's Bag and they were a big hit. This year I'm drawing a blank, so I thought I get some ideas from the community here.

So what are you getting for the gamers in your life? Any brainstorming would be appreciated, and I imagine that there are some other folks out there with the same situation. So far, I'll I've come up with are sets of "Pirates of the Spanish Main" and organizing a tournement with the winner getting a book or a fancy set of dice. What do you think? How many sets of "Pirates" does each player need to actually play the game?

Christoph

Well, theoretically you can play a Pirates game with just one pack each. Might be uneven depending on the draw, but you could do it. I'd say 2-3 packs would allow anyone to put together a 2 ship fleet with at least 1 or 2 interesting crew. They retail beteen 3.49 to 4.99, but I wouldn't pay more than $4 for them.

Does your crew like Minis? If so maybe you could pick a nice mini out for each one of them. Maybe buy a set of minis, one for each player, and then run a one shot or even start a campaign with PCs for those minis. If you have it and haven't tried it Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed is great and ahs soem great Minis, there is even a free adventure for 5th level PCs over on his website that recommends which minis to use for the Pre-gen characters
( http://www.montecook.com/arch_stuff81.html.)

Issues of Dork Tower are fun stocking stuffers for gamers.

Dice of course, maybe buy just 1 really special d20 (or whatever) that they would never buy for themselves cause of the price.

Buy a PDF from RPGNow or your favortie supplier for each of them. Make it one that is oriented to their favorite class or tactic or monsters. You can read the reviews here and pick out some nice ones for about $5 a piece.

Sigh, I love Christmas shopping.

Last edited:

KMageau

First Post
I have a suggestion:

I always keep a 3-way pen at the game table with me. My other players like them also. It contains a pencil (refillable), red ink, and black ink. Its a very invaluable tool. The one I have is made by papermate. I think they sell for around $8 each. I am not positive on the cost, my work gives them to us to use on the job.

Hope this helps

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads