• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP Cost to use a Magical Item

Centaur

First Post
I am curious to see what people think of the idea of putting in place a cost to use a magic item. Specificaly an XP cost.

This would make some players think twice about using some items as frivilously as they might.

This question is in concept only. I'm not really interesting in talking hard numbres at this point, just looking for feedback!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Centaur said:
I am curious to see what people think of the idea of putting in place a cost to use a magic item. Specificaly an XP cost.

This would make some players think twice about using some items as frivilously as they might.

This question is in concept only. I'm not really interesting in talking hard numbres at this point, just looking for feedback!

In concept, I think it's fine to have an item drain the life force of a user. :)

Cheers!

Khayman

First Post
An interesting idea --- we did something similar for ritual spells, but the idea of applying it to magic items hadn't crossed our wee minds. Hmmmmmmmmm.

This leads to the possibility of expanding item powers with an XP cost (much as one might apply metamagic feats to a spell). Say you need extra damage from your magic weapon, or a few more rounds of flight from your winged boots --- toss in some XP and away you go. An ability possibly restricted to spontaneous casters (such as bards or sorcerers) or clerics with the magic domain.

The problem is in calculating the cost and ease. I'd make it costly, to say the least --- there exists some potential for upsetting game balance.

Goblyn

Explorer
Khayman said:
This leads to the possibility of expanding item powers with an XP cost (much as one might apply metamagic feats to a spell). Say you need extra damage from your magic weapon, or a few more rounds of flight from your winged boots --- toss in some XP and away you go. An ability possibly restricted to spontaneous casters (such as bards or sorcerers) or clerics with the magic domain.
This is a nice idea. New character concepts are jumping up in front of me ...

I've never heard of anyone lamenting the players overusing magic items that they already have. Usually it's more along the lines of "Help, my players are hoarding their one-shots and charge-using items"

Khayman said:
The problem is in calculating the cost and ease. I'd make it costly, to say the least --- there exists some potential for upsetting game balance.
Meh, balance is overrated:p Maybe having a feat or skill rank requirement would provide for this:
Concentration check, DC 10 + caster level requirement to make the item
possibly requiring that the character possess the pertinent metamagic feat.
A cost of item spell level x item creator caster level XP (eg. To Extend the effects of Boots of Flying would cost 3+1x5=20XP) might be appropriate.

An alternative, if anyone loathes obscenely the thought of yet another way to spend hard-earned XP, have the character be required to sacrifice a spell slot of the appropriate level to use the enhancement(eg. In order to Exend the effects of Boots of Flying might cost a 4th level spell slot and the wearer must have Extend Spell).

Hopefully there's some wheat in this chaff.

kamosa

Explorer
Centaur said:

As a player I always hate rules like this. If you don't want someone to use a magic item as much give it limited charges or limited uses per day. Draining the character just plain bites. What if the party needs the power of the item to survive. You end up taking an XP drain on the chin for the benifit of everyone else. That blows.

IMHO Magic items should be a bonus for a player, not a way to jerk them around.

PoppaGunch

First Post
I would only use something like this for really powerful magic items. Like say artifacts. Maybe lesser artifacts drain temporary con or something, and greater artifacts drain permanent xp.
Hmmm this gives me an idea...
My poor group. Muwwhahahahahaah

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
kamosa said:
As a player I always hate rules like this. If you don't want someone to use a magic item as much give it limited charges or limited uses per day. Draining the character just plain bites. What if the party needs the power of the item to survive. You end up taking an XP drain on the chin for the benifit of everyone else. That blows.

I'd build in some charges to the item if I felt using it too much might unbalance the game I was planning.

kamosa said:
IMHO Magic items should be a bonus for a player, not a way to jerk them around.

Some folks call that a plot complication. A chance for sacrifice, which is meant to create tough choices and a chance to be heroic. Why is it that some players feel that once they have gained something it is cheating them when it is taken away, even in situations like suggested above where it is only a result of a choice they might make? You seem to have a particularly strong opinion on this. Do you mind elaborating?

This seems to fall into the same category as items being stolen by NPCs. Do you also feel cheated when an undead creature drains a level or two? What about when a DM only allows replacement characters (for those who die) at lower levels than the rest of the group? Are there other situations along these lines that make you feel the same way?

random user

First Post
I think it would be a fine addition. If the players decide the cost is too much for them to shoulder, I would allow them to sell it (at half price) to acquire something else, if that is feasible.

I do think, however, that for an item to have an xp penalty, it should have fairly weighty effects.

GandhitheBFG

First Post
sounds like a pretty cool idea...kinda draining, last ditch effort kind of idea? my dm sort of did that with a weapon one of characters ended up with; everything i used it's major speciak ability, we recieved less exp than we would have otherwise...is still a great weapon, the special ability seems to always kill most enemies i need it to, and, because of the cost, i've only used it three times, in as many years.

I don't really think it would unbalance the game, as xp is one of a players most hoarded resource...you should see our wizard trying to worm out of casting 'wish' and such...and the amount of enemies we've killed/been killed by using level drain *shudders*

Remove ads