• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP for Missing Players

Wraithdrit

First Post
Simple question: Should characters be awarded XP when their players are unable to make a session, if the Character is being NPCed by the dm, and thus still faces risk, takes damage, etc.

I'm thinking of ruling the two players that missed last session as Cohorts and thus not detracting from the XP those that made it to the session get.

Thoughts?

- Wraith

Wraithdrit

First Post
Err, I just realized that won't work, since they are both higher level than the rest of the party, they would not get any less than if they were there. Even if they weren't, they are still getting plenty of XP if they were equal level (as level divided by level, the whole cohort XP rule would net a standard share).

Argh.

So anyways... looking for ideas or input.

Nail

First Post
Wraithdrit said:
I'm thinking of ruling the two players that missed last session as Cohorts and thus not detracting from the XP those that made it to the session get.
Ouch.

Our group often has one player missing, out of 5, so we deal with this alot.

My thinking is: the PC contributed to the parties success, and so should receive full XP for combat, and none for RP, puzzle-solving, and ad-hoc.

I wouldn't use the cohort rules...it gives too big of a boost to the PCs that were present.

bekkilyn_rpg

First Post
Giving players experience for not showing up has too many downsides. Players can get to thinking, "I don't feel like bothering with D&D tonight and besides, I'll get the experience anyway." That sort of thing.

However, if someone has what you consider a legitimate reason for not being able to play and you get too worried about someone falling too far behind, you could always offer them some "extra credit" way of making up the work. For example, have them write a story about what their character was doing while the party was out tramping around in the dungeon. Offer to run a solo adventure for that character. Basically, make them "work" for it in some way. That way, they still might be able to make up some of the level difference but the other players who attended don't feel cheated by the idea of someone getting the rewards without doing anything to earn the rewards.

The player could also just simply decide that they will just miss out on that session's experience and that it's no big deal, but there could still be options when the level range is getting too wide.

Wraithdrit

First Post
Well, the bonus side of this is that the two players who missed have never died, and are at the top of the XP food chain, even if I award no XP for them (what I am leaning toward and what my PCs expect).

- Wraith

Wraithdrit

First Post
Yeah, I am decided. If you miss, you miss. Its the price for standing me up. ;) Legitimate excuses are fine and all, but you still aren't there. Unless there is a TPK I will not kill off a character while not present, so *shrug*.

Those two are STILL ahead, death is expensive in XP.

Zhure

First Post
Wraithdrit said:
Yeah, I am decided. If you miss, you miss. Its the price for standing me up. ;) Legitimate excuses are fine and all, but you still aren't there. Unless there is a TPK I will not kill off a character while not present, so *shrug*.

Those two are STILL ahead, death is expensive in XP.

I heartily agree

fett527

First Post
I guess you've decided, but our DM has always given half XP for encounters and of course no XP for Roleplay or extras. This way you keep people from falling too far behind.

Cybern

First Post
I vote for the not there-no xp method. In our campaign, players who don't attend often do so because of their own choosing (not jobs) so they choose not to get XP. There is some whining, but their PC is often out of of danger in such games.

Veander

First Post
We deal with this all the time in our group. I have 3 people are solid, hardcore gamers and show up constantly. However, two others are occasional. Here's how I do it. Firstly, no matter what experience I end up awarding them it gets reduced by 75%. I have three basic ways of rewarding characters. 1st: combat; 2nd: Story rewards; and 3rd: Individual Experience Rewards. Combat is fairly simple though I use the FRCS optional way of handing them out if the group has different leveled PCs. Story rewards are from properly completing sections of the campaign/adventures. Individual is broken up into 3 groups (Role-playing, Integrity, and Heroism), rated 1 to 10 and multiplied by 10 and then by level.

Let's say I have 4 people at the last session, all at 10th level. The total XPs for combat and story are 8000. That means 2000 each. Now, one player didn't make it to the last session. So I hand them 2000 too, but not taken from the amount that the other players divided from - just based on it. Once I do that I knock off 25% for not being at the session. So the missing player takes 1500 for not being at the session. The other players take home anywhere from 2300 to 2400 for the session due to not taking the 25% reduction and not getting any Individual XPs.

Here's the thing that will probably surprise you. I don't use the absent player's character all the time. If I have four players, I won't use someone who missed. I will still use the above formula. If I was stern about it and said, "You aren't there then you stood me up and you get nothing!" then the player would probably not show up after their character was sufficiently behind. The biggest tax to those who don't miss is that they come back to the table not knowing everything (though I do send out weekly synopsis' AND they never get the proper amount of treasure. I won't allow the party to split treasure with the missing people unless they find an item they really feel doesn't need sold and would benefit the missing character.

I find this system to make the players who do show up feel better about doing it, though. However, if I ever found out any player said, "I'll just hang out with my buddies and drink because my character is getting XPs anyway!!!" I would be deeply disappointed in the maturity level of said player. The two guys I have not missing are honest with me about why they miss. One has a new girlfriend and they like spending time with her (though he DOES make it if we start 3 hours early which we do often) and the other is a bit burned out right now on regular DnD.

Ok, that was a long post, but it's something I like to think I have experience with as a DM.

Sincerely,

V

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads