D&D 5E XP Multiplier

BoldItalic

First Post
Quibble: That'd only work if the rats are hostile.

Problem: I'm not sure which button on the app is laugh.

Of course the rats are hostile. They've been kept in a smelly sack and carried around for days being bumped about together with practically nothing to eat. They aren't just hostile, they are downright livid.

Try all the buttons? Except the blue one. Don't tap the bl ...

Shiroiken

Legend
?
Are you saying that you think the encounter XP calculation is difficult or time-consuming? If you have custom creatures for which you need to do the basic CR calculation, yeah, that may take a few minutes, but if you already have the CRs for each creature, I can't think of any reason that the encounter XP calculation would take more than a minute. Am I missing something?
Because I don't actually look at that section of the DMG, except when I'm curious. I find the XP guidelines to be terrible, and when I do feel the need to balance an encounter, I use the Encounter Guidelines from UA (which simply use a ratio of CR to Level). If I was supposed to multiply XP based on number of monsters, it would be yet another chart I'd need to have memorized (or readily available).

Besides, I find the PCs often level too quickly as it is; adding the multiplier would exacerbate the situation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, there are lots of reasons a character could be behind. Giving them XP-and-a-half is a just a general solution for making that a temporary situation, whatever the cause. As for this specific circumstance, if you think of it as a penalty (I don't, but for the sake of argument), then yeah, it's a temporary penalty, but lots of penalties are temporary. They're still penalties. "If you're just gonna let your kid off time-out in thirty minutes, what's the point of putting them on time-out in the first place?"

I think the major difference is that I'm not the parent of the players. They are adults and it's not my job or responsibility to be handing out punishments, even temporary ones. Also, the time out isn't temporary in the same sense as the XP situation. I can't give my child back the 30 minutes of time lost to the time out. That time is forever gone.

Remove ads