• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XPs: Tanar'ri Summoning Another Tanar'ri

Demmero

Explorer
I know that if a sorcerer or wizard uses a Summon Monster spell to call in reinforcements for a fight, those critters aren't counted for experience point awards (since the spells are part of the caster's attack repertoire).

Does the same thing hold true when a tanar'ri uses its racial power to summon another tanar'ri to join a fight?

My guess is that it does, but since I'm notorious for being stingy with the xps, I figured I'd ask here. Thanks.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Nope, it's just another special ability.

Of course, you can play it such that destroying the original fiend makes the summoned fiend non-hostile -- perhaps it becomes very amused at the fate of its summoner, and then treats with the PCs to the best of its ability for whatever time (of its hour on earth) remains.

Thus, there's no XP because it's not really a "main threat".

-- N

Mr.Black

First Post
It's on page 315 of the MM3.5. On the last line of summon(sp): "As stated on page 36 of the DMG, no experience points are awarded for summoned monsters."

Demmero

Explorer
Mr.Black said:
It's on page 315 of the MM3.5. On the last line of summon(sp): "As stated on page 36 of the DMG, no experience points are awarded for summoned monsters."

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

Let me push my luck with another related question:

Can an advanced tanar'ri summon another advanced tanar'ri of the same HD as itself or just a standard version of the demon?

Jhulae

First Post
From the way summoning spells and such are written, plus the fact that Tanar'ri's ablilities aren't given special caveats, no.

X% chance of a standard tanar'ri of the type specified.

ThirdWizard

First Post
They can also be dispelled, supressed in an antimagic field, and can't physically touch someone with protection from evil (etc) on them. Basically anything that will stop summoned creatures. It makes the ability look a bit less formidable.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Summoning is a short duration effect that costs an action (or full round) to use.

By the level PCs are meeting extraplaner creatures that can summon something dangerous they will have many options for dealing with summoned creatures. (At lowish levels we have actually employed tower shields to slow combat down and let up wait the spell out. Summoned Fiendish Apes. Ugh!)

glass

(he, him)
As several people have said, the default value is zero.

I would say however, that that is subject to DM discretion(sp?) just like any other XP award. For example, if a Tanar'ri summons some of his fellows then naffs of while the summonees attack the PCs, that should be worth some XP. After all, it wouldn't be costing the summoner anything, as he'd have his ability back by the time the PCs caught up with him.

glass.

Demmero

Explorer
Phaedrus said:
Not so much a hijack as a slight detour...

Summoned demons/devils/etc. cannot in turn use their summon ability, right?

Correct, at least not for one hour after they've been summoned. Since a summoned creature automatically returns to whence it came after an hour, it can't summon more of its kind. See Summon (Sp) on MM/315 as someone pointed out earlier.

Again, thanks to all for their help with this matter.

Remove ads