• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yakfolk -- Why the jokes?

I know there's a running joke about Yakfolk being stupid and I can certainly understand why they are disliked for those who hate the "animal headed" human premise. And I'll also acknowledge that they've got a terrible, terrible name.
But what I've been wondering is there something beyond that has generated all the Yakfolk jokes? Are they mechanically messed up?
Is there some issue with them at WotC? I swear I've heard of some sort anti-Yakfolk efforts there.
I mean I kind of like the flavor text associated with them, and I thought the artwork for them was pretty cool.
Anyway, I was just wondering if there's some thing I missed as a reason to hate them.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I dunno. I like the backstory, I like that they are evil bastards who have shapeshifting magic, but something in me just can't get past yaks as these hideous subversive monsters. I'd like to use them but I know, know that if I spring 'the yak was behind it all' on my players, they'll laugh until they cry.

There's a lot I'll accept. I blithely accept things that other people find deeply stupid about D&D but everyone has a line and mine starts with Yak.

Gez

First Post
WayneLigon said:
I'd like to use them but I know, know that if I spring 'the yak was behind it all' on my players, they'll laugh until they cry.

To me, that seems like a good reason to use them. :D

Um, because they are yakfolk? As in, yaks? Which might be exciting in Outer Mongolia, but otherwise, they're sillier than flumpfs, anthropomorphic napoleonic hippos, and miniature giant space hamster ninjas.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Yeah, the whole reason is because of the Yak.

We used to call the horned demons in the early parts of Diablo "Yak-Men." The poisoned well? It's because the Yak-Men used the water to clean their yakky chaps.

Yak.

Just say it. Yak.

No, they will never get respect, because... Yak.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Because they're... Yaks.

Besides the fact that yak isn't the least silliest name... it's an anthropomorphic YAK.
I mean people keep yak for their milk, as beast of burden, and as meat source. Just as we keep cow.

C'mon, they're like Mongolian cows.

Cowfolk... makes me rather giggle than tremble in fear.

Moooo, LT.

Dirigible

Explorer
Besides the fact that yak isn't the least silliest name... it's an anthropomorphic YAK.
I mean people keep yak for their milk, as beast of burden, and as meat source. Just as we keep cow.

Minotaur, anyone?

Isn't the yak-man based on an authentic evil spirit from Tibetan or other Cental Asian folklore?

Simplicity

Explorer
Because a yak is a stubborn cow with a sillier name.
A villainous yak might decide not to follow you when you pulled its rope.
Or it might eat too much grass. Maybe it'll kick you.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Dirigible said:
Isn't the yak-man based on an authentic evil spirit from Tibetan or other Cental Asian folklore?

Pretty much all the silliest D&D monsters are derived from authentic mythology. I personally kind of like Yak-men, though I've never had a chance to use them...

Actually that's not true, I used them in a Glacier of the Frost Giant Jarl campaign ender I did a few months back... They were pretty effective with their combination of magic and muscle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads