• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yeah, no.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Personally, I think that the posters above have good takes on this issue.

However, I would like to introduce something that might not actually be a good take on it:
A Linguistic Parallel.

It's like this: I was in MI when I served my time in the US Army, and my MOS (i.e. specialty) was Interrogator (Farsi). That left me with nothing to do, because Farsi is spoken in Iran; and we (the US) had our own, hand-picked puppet in place as the Shah of Iran, so we were not at war with the Persians; therefore; there were no Persian (Iranian) prisoners for me to interrogate. (Jobless at the tender age of 23!)

As a result, I languished at an armor base in Texas for 18 months, with nothing to do but become an on-job-trained Clerk/Typist. (It was a 4th Army unit stationed at Hood. That's strange, because the HQ of the 4th was Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio at the time.)

Anyway, they taught us Farsi through 49 weeks of Berlitz-designed classes at Monterey, CA. (Such a cushy assignment. . . .) One mnemonic I recall was mirror. Yes, this ties in with the thread, thus:

Transliterated into English, the Farsi word for "mirror" is "aine" -- pronounced as "Aye-Nay" -- that is to say, "Yes-No."

And . . . the thread title is "Yeah, no." That's close enough to "Yes-No" to constitute a connection!

(My personal mnemonic harkened back to "Snow White," saying:
"Yes-No, Yes-No on the wall, Who's the fairest of them all?"

And then, in my imagination, the ghostly voice would reply, "Yes-No," which doesn't do anyone any good; but that's entirely beside the point by now. . . .)

Last edited:

PigKnight

First Post
Personally, I think that the posters above have good takes on this issue.

However, I would like to introduce something that might not actually be a good take on it:
A Linguistic Parallel.

It's like this: I was in MI when I served my time in the US Army, and my MOS (i.e. specialty) was Interrogator (Farsi). That left me with nothing to do, because Farsi is spoken in Iran; and we (the US) had our own, hand-picked puppet in place as the Shah of Iran, so we were not at war with the Persians; therefore; there were no Persian (Iranian) prisoners for me to interrogate. (Jobless at the tender age of 23!)

As a result, I languished at an armor base in Texas for 18 months, with nothing to do but become an on-job-trained Clerk/Typist. (It was a 4th Army unit stationed at Hood. That's strange, because the HQ of the 4th was Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio at the time.)

Anyway, they taught us Farsi through 49 weeks of Berlitz-designed classes at Monterey, CA. (Such a cushy assignment. . . .) One mnemonic I recall was mirror. Yes, this ties in with the thread, thus:

Transliterated into English, the Farsi word for "mirror" is "aine" -- pronounced as "Aye-Nay" -- that is to say, "Yes-No."

And . . . the thread title is "Yeah, no." That's close enough to "Yes-No" to constitute a connection!

(My personal mnemonic harkened back to "Snow White," saying:
"Yes-No, Yes-No on the wall, Who's the fairest of them all?"

And then, in my imagination, the ghostly voice would reply, "Yes-No," which doesn't do anyone any good; but that's entirely beside the point by now. . . .)
Are you at all related to a Mr. EscherEnigma?

Remove ads