• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yedan's Troubleshooters

Kaodi

Hero
Nymm 17, 998 YK

Those of you seeking armament have no trouble finding the local shop dealing in weapons and armour.

An hour later you have all found your way to a modest drinking establishment with an attached inn. The faded sign above the door identifies it as "The Plucked Cockatrice" . The name seems somewhat tortured an unwieldly until you step inside and immediately are taken aback by the terrible visage of a stuffed cockatrice (that has indeed been plucked) hung on the wall above the bar.

Besides yourselves there are not many patrons tonight, and it is easy enough to find space at one of a number of round tables. Besdies the barkeep, an aging dwarf with a long grey beard and burly arms exposed by his short-sleeved shirt, there is just one barmaid on duty, a relatively young human woman with a slender figure, darkly tanned skin, and short black hair.

OOC: I want to keep the game going at a relatively quick pace. I have waited a few times to give everyone a chance to post, but from here on in I can and will advance the story even if only one or two people have added anything when I am ready to move on.

Arrowhawk

First Post
OOC: Works for me!

Whyre does a careful scan of the bar looking for anything suspicious or out of the ordinary, especially in case there are any rogues hiding in the shadows waiting to relieve him of what few possessions he has. With a nod to the barmaid, Whyre finds Evret and Bastion and sits with them, making sure to take a seat with his back to the wall and facing the entrance.

I wonder if that dwarf knows anything about the town where we are headed? I'd ask him, but my gift for gab might just start a brawl. Plus, he looks mighty suspicious. I wouldn't mind getting to know the barmaid, but she looks suspicious. Still, she might have some cute friends and it has been awhile...

Whyre temporarily halts his diversionary thoughts and says to Bastion in a voice that does not carry...

"Bastion, you said undead were your specialty. Were you able to make any sense of the mayor's story? I find it odd that the skeletons of the graveyard simply prevented the burial of the fallen warrior and did not attack the towns people. This leads me to believe the solution requires our brains not our brawn. Would it make sense to check the local library (assuming there is one) or speak with a sage about these matters? Is there a way to speak with the skeletons outright or with other spirits that may control skeletons? Certainly in my travel, I have heard of places being haunted, but I do not now the nature of such a thing or how one deals with it. "

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Evret settles himself into one of the wooden chairs and takes a look around. He smiles at the barmaid and waves her over. He hands her a few coins to cover the first round of drinks for his companions and orders mead for himself. When she returns with his order he tries to see what information he can glean about the place they would be headed. Ho there young lass, a moment? My companions and I are headed for a little town not far from here, Mayelkur, and were wondering if you had heard any news from them lately."

Bastion shakes his head. "I've done a great deal of research, and I feel like I should know something. But this is a perplexing problem. We've all seen skeletons walking the ground..." Bastion looks around and then shrugs when some of the others shake their heads. "...but ghostly skeletons with a vendetta. Unusual. Most unusual."

He then quiets himself to listen for an answer from the barmaid.

OOC: typing from my phone, so i can't change my dialogue color. should be dark red.

Kaodi

Hero
Nymm 17, 998 YK

Whyre does not notice anyone particular out of the ordinary. Customers include what looks to be a few labourers on their break, a merchant of some sort looking over his books while he has a drink, and maybe a farmer or two.

As the barmaid sets down the drinks Evret ordered, she replies, smiling weakly, "Mayelkur, huh? I've heard of it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. Too many little places to keep track of all of 'em." Pointing her thumb over her shoulder, she adds, "You might ask the boss though, he might hear more from people who stick to the counter."

When you ask the dwarf, he says, "I heard they had some sort of problem with ghosts, but I couldn't tell ye anything beyond that. Most folks who come in here from the villages have had more to say about a wild animal of some sort grabbing their livestock. Even had one fella say some folks had gone missing."

Arrowhawk

First Post
Hoping to piggy back on the goodwill Evret seems to have engendered, Whyre gets a little social confidence and queries,

”We heard the town had trouble burying a fella by the name Harad Grantham, does that name ring a bell?”

Walking Dad

First Post
Morgan Sorrowful

Morgan listens interested for the answer to Whyre's question.

[sblock=Mini Stat Block]
Morgan Sorrowful

HP: 11/11
AC: 18, Touch 12, Flat Footed 16
Initiative: +2
CMB: +2
CMD: 14
Fort: +4
Ref: +3
Will +5
Speed 20'

Spells prepared (save DC = 13 + spell level):
0 - Detect Magic, Guidance, Light
1 - Magic Stone, Shillelagh

Concentration Check: +6

Club (melee): +2 = +0 (BAB) +2 (Stat) (1d6+2)X2
Scimitar (melee): +2 = +0 (BAB) +2 (Stat) (1d6+2) 18-20/X2

Perception +7

dies at -14

[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
"Harad Granthum?" says the barkeep, arching one bushy eyebrow. "My brother fought alongside him, many years ago. Never knew the man myself though."

ghostcat

First Post
Mex accompanies Whyre to the weapons shop but fails to find anything suitable. Telling Whyre that he will see him later, Mez goes to investigate a piece of wood he saw on the way here, hoping he can use it as a club. However, when he gets back to the spot where he saw it, it has gone. He then hunts a round town trying to find something suitable.

He eventually finds something but by that time he his late for the meeting. Arriving at the The Plucked Cockatrice out of breath, he sits down at the table with the other troubleshooters and says "Sorry I'm late guys. So what's the plan?"

Arrowhawk

First Post
Whyre offers a nod to Mez as Mez enters the tavern and takes a seat. Whyre returns to the dwarf...

"Ah. Your brother must have known him quite well. I imagine your brother would want to see his old buddy given a proper burial. Does your brother live close by?"

Last edited:

Remove ads