D&D 5E yes, this again: Fighters need more non-combat options

Imaro

Legend
Is there some particular reason you can't let us have a mechanical fix?

In what way am I stopping you? However if you make statements on a discussion forum expect said statements to be open for discussion and that not everyone partaking in the discussion will be in agreement with your position...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The thing is you don't hear those arguments being made about the other classes (maybe the barbarian occasionally). Why is that? Because the other classes have abilities that make up for it. They don't have to rely on the DM going out of his way to engage them or "role-play" more so they feel like they are contributing.

So it's clear there is a problem because many people are saying there is a problem. Just because many people state something doesn't mean it is true.

If we're arguing about popularity though, the Fighter is the most popular character by far. Only the Rogue is somewhat close.

So if we're going by popularity then it is the other 10 classes that have the issues.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Gives numerous examples of how Action Surge is a powerful out of combat feature unique to the fighter class.
Everyone complaining about lack of out of combat Fighter features ignores it.

giphy.gif

Does a lot of out of combat stuff happen in rounds and turns, in your games?

In what way am I stopping you? However if you make statements on a discussion forum expect said statements to be open for discussion and that not everyone partaking in the discussion will be in agreement with your position...

Why post in a thread where you don’t even agree with the premise of the question being asked by the OP.

OP: my group has this issue. It is a thing for us, and I have a couple ideas for how to address it, and would love to read others.

Some of y’all: well, actually...that isn’t a thing and your player is just not roleplaying hard enough.

Mind boggling.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Yes. A whole lot of it, in the sense that most of it is time pressured, and frequently allows for just a single check in the midst of something else happening before someone else does something. We might not call it a "round" or a "turn" because nobody else other than the fighter could actually do two things in that time frame. But once you introduce a fighter with action surge, provided the player is thinking about how to use it, absolutely the time sensitive challenges out of combat can use it.

Does a lot of your skills and spells used out of combat to resolve challenges happen with no time constraints? Are your PCs not doing things which require stealth and speed, or making checks to influence a conversation mid-conversation?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes. A whole lot of it, in the sense that most of it is time pressured, and frequently allows for just a single check in the midst of something else happening before someone else does something. We might not call it a "round" or a "turn" because nobody else other than the fighter could actually do two things in that time frame. But once you introduce a fighter with action surge, provided the player is thinking about how to use it, absolutely the time sensitive challenges out of combat can use it.

Does a lot of your skills and spells used out of combat to resolve challenges happen with no time constraints? Are your PCs not doing things which require stealth and speed, or making checks to influence a conversation mid-conversation?

Most out of combat time restraints are narrative, not mechanical. You do a thing, there are consequences, and we keep moving. AS, as well as the rogue’s cunning action, monk and barbarian speed bonuses, etc, all come into play, but AS is 1/rest, which means 1or less/scene. So, between very situational relevance and that limitation, it doesn’t come up often.

GlassJaw

Hero
So it's clear there is a problem because many people are saying there is a problem. Just because many people state something doesn't mean it is true.

If we're arguing about popularity though, the Fighter is the most popular character by far. Only the Rogue is somewhat close.

So if we're going by popularity then it is the other 10 classes that have the issues.

Two can play this game:

If many people say something is a problem, it could be a problem.

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it doesn't need improvement.

Imaro

Legend

Why post in a thread where you don’t even agree with the premise of the question being asked by the OP.

OP: my group has this issue. It is a thing for us, and I have a couple ideas for how to address it, and would love to read others.

Some of y’all: well, actually...that isn’t a thing and your player is just not roleplaying hard enough.

Mind boggling.

Is the desire to present a different point of view in a thread on a discussion forum really... "Mind boggling"??

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Is the desire to present a different point of view in a thread on a discussion forum really... "Mind boggling"??

Yeah, these kinds of threads get made because the person has a problem at their table.

Then people come in and discuss why they are having that problem and suggest solutions. If solutions are suggested that they don't like then they cry 'don't tell me I'm not playing right!'

Of course they're not playing right, they have an issue that they are looking to resolve. Of course people are going to offer suggestions to change their game. If they already know what changes they want to make then why post asking for advice?

"Mind boggling"

Remove ads