• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Yes, you can" Or "No you can't"

Yes! or No!

• "Yes! You can try that!"

Votes: 80 81.6%
  • "No! You'd need to be second level to even try it!"

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • I'm just a wuss who can't make my mind

Votes: 7 7.1%

Heathen72

Explorer
Some GM's are hardball, and others self admitted easybeats. There are GM's who are stickler's for the rules, and others who allow the the players to get away with blue murder.

I've had a fair amount of experience in alternative sytems where the default position to the request "Can I do this" is "Yes. You try, and this is what happens" I've also played in games in which the GM said to me "I'm sorry, but you can't do the spell in that way" - I guess due to game balance considerations.

That said, I wonder if it comes down to personality issues.
In Impro Keith Johnstone divides the world in to two sorts of people - Those who say "Yes" (people who takes big risks, and who are rewarded by the adventures they have) and those who say No!" (people who avoid risks who are rewarded by the safety they obtain.)

You may well wonder to yourself "what sort of person am I?" My question, however, is what sort of GM are you? When it comes to the crunch, do you say "Yes" or do you say "No!" Don't give me "Maybes." Don't wait for the translation! Make your call!

Are you a "Yes!" Gm or a "No! GM"
And remember, this is for posterity, so be honest. :)

Last edited:

Privateer

First Post
I voted yes, as I love seeing my players come up with insane plots. (Then, when the hamster is chewing through the rope, I jump on top of the dragon and make a disguise check to appear as if I'm bleeding profusely, and then I sing a soothing song...)

However, I've got problems with changing more "concrete" things (no making your fireball a line, say).

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
I almost always say, "Sure, you can try it," but if its really that stark-raving mad, I make it an impossibly difficult roll. This eliminates the "But it is possible!" argument. Besides, if they do manage to succeed on that impossible die roll, it makes a great gaming story for the future.

Chris Coulter

First Post
I've voted no. But there's no point to it. It was a counterproductive idea to start, offering only huge risk and minimal reward. (Do you think I have something in mind? Yes. Yes I do. But I'm a player, not a GM so pay me no mind.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
oh mais oui!

I'm a "Yes, and this is what you risk by trying..." or "Yes, and this is what it will cost you..." DM.

-- Nifft, very balanced

paulewaug

I am also a "Yes you may Try" kind of Dm

I run the game trying to provide Fun for my players and take satisfaction in them saying "We had a great time"
At the same time I do my RatBastard best to make life difficult for them ;)

I usually will let them try something Reasonable and if dice are involved they need to get a Natural 20.

I don't let them DO everything they want, but I will let them try whatever they want. Heres the rope...let's see if you hang yourself.. ;)

Last edited:

geezerjoe

First Post
OF COURSE you can TRY!

don't cry to me when you're dead though

I've said it before, I'll say it again. But then again, I'm mean.

Joe2Old

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

To be quite honest, I am a DM who makes my call and then lets the player's discuss it if they disagree. If they have a compelling argument, then I may change my mind. If not, I don't. I don't tend to change my call due to pressure. I like to debate, so I don't mind a spirited debate from my players. I tend to rely alot on what I have heard of in real life. When you read alot, that allows you to bring alot to the table in terms of arbitrating pseudorealistic situations using a base set of rules for resolving any problems.

It really does go either way. Alot of the time, they trust my ruling and DM skills, so they go with my call.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads